none
Modified By Showing as SharePoint App after running a deisgner 2013 workflow under App Step

Question

• Hi All,

I have a workflow that will fire when any new item created or modified automatically and here my issue that after a new item created or modified its giving modified by column as 'SharePoint App' instead of the current logged user. why this happening. and i want the modified by column to be the user who modified the item. I am running this workflow under App Step

I am new to SharePoint

Sunday, December 25, 2016 12:30 PM

Answers

1. The workflow is in suspended state probably because you are performing an activity which the current logged in user does not have access to.
    2. You have created a new field 'Modified_ByDt' but you are still populating it with the OOB Modified column which is going to give you the elevated privilege account.
    3. Use WorkflowContext:Initiator in place of CurrentItem:Modified. This should probably give you the name of the current logged in user and set it in your Modified_ByDt field.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Huzefa Mala, MCPD, MCT Please mark the post that answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.

• Marked as answer by ShajiManj Monday, December 26, 2016 12:28 PM
    Monday, December 26, 2016 6:22 AM

All replies

• Any updates?? I am using SharePoint designer 2013 workflow platform.

I am new to SharePoint

Monday, December 26, 2016 4:42 AM
  • An "APP STEP" is used to run the steps of the workflow with elevated privileges.

That means the current logged in user does not have permissions to perform that specific action on the list. So, the workflow runs the steps with a privileged account.

Modified By field cannot be set through workflow.

What is the reason of using App Step in your case?

Regards, Huzefa Mala, MCPD, MCT Please mark the post that answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.

Monday, December 26, 2016 5:39 AM
  • Its a custom modified field named as 'Modified_ByDt' as shown in the above attached image.

The reason of using App Step is because of the workflow internal status always showing 'Suspended'. To overcome this issue I am using App Step. 

If i give full permission to the user then he will have the delete option, i don't want user to delete any items.

BR

I am new to SharePoint

Monday, December 26, 2016 5:57 AM
  • Hi ShajiManj,

App step elevates permissions for a workflow if required, consider that workflows are fundamentally apps for SharePoint and they follow the same authorization rules of the app model.

Your workflow is running under elevated permission thats why you are unable to get desired output.

There are two reasons why it is necessary to elevate permissions to create a workflow in the App Request list. These are:
    By default, workflow only has write permission.
    The user has no permissions.

Please find below URL for your reference.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj822159.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sridhara/2014/05/10/a-word-about-app-step-in-sharepoint-2013-workflow-platform/

MARK AS ANSWER IF IT HELPS!!

Thanks Shekhar.diary

Monday, December 26, 2016 6:20 AM
    1. The workflow is in suspended state probably because you are performing an activity which the current logged in user does not have access to.
    2. You have created a new field 'Modified_ByDt' but you are still populating it with the OOB Modified column which is going to give you the elevated privilege account.
    3. Use WorkflowContext:Initiator in place of CurrentItem:Modified. This should probably give you the name of the current logged in user and set it in your Modified_ByDt field.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by ShajiManj Monday, December 26, 2016 12:28 PM
    Monday, December 26, 2016 6:22 AM
  • Hi ShajiManj,

It is a by default that Modified By showing as SharePoint App after running workflow under App Step.

An "APP STEP" is used to run the steps of the workflow with elevated privileges while not the current logged user.

For more information about app steps, refer to the following article about creating a workflow with elevated permissions by using the SharePoint 2013 Workflow platform:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj822159.aspx

If you want to show the modified by column to be the user who modified the item, do not use app steps.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 26, 2016 7:05 AM