none
Expression and DotNetnuke RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to web development and I will try not to ask questions that have been asked many times before. My question is regarding DotNetnuke Skins and expression studio. If I wanted to use expression to create a skin for DNN would I have to do it by code view? I dont know Css or Html all that well yet and want to know what is possible without touching code. I am also curious what can I do with expression blend and Dnn? Is it possble to create a menu bar or buttons using the behaviors, and utilize them in a dnn site? I have read that you can use EW as a design tool for site like dnn, but how? I am willing to put in the time to learn but not sure what that is.

Thanks....

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 6:44 PM

Answers

• From the DotNetnuke web site forum: http://www.dotnetnuke.com/Community/Forums/tabid/795/forumid/118/threadid/188467/scope/posts/Default.aspx

Nina Meiers:

"You can skin using Expression Web, but only using html method and you can't really see the menu structure which a lot of designers spend their time on.

If you attempt to skin using Expression Web, with the ascx controls you end up with lots of grey boxes as it can't find all the controls -there is no 'hook' into the system unlike the Sharepoint Designer which is a dll that hooks the sharepoint app and the controls used.

So if that's where you coming from in reference to hooking into actual functionality of adding content and moving things around, as explained in the previous post, it's done online, but if you want to modify the look and feel of the application, in html format Expression web can work for you."

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:26 PM
  • DotNetNuke is going to be something that you're better off touching by hand rather than a tool. This mainly has nothing to do with EW, but more the way DotNetNuke is designed. It's a very complex system and you would need to learn a good bit about how it's put together before you can really play with making DNN skins. EW works great with normal web sites, but DNN is special because it's like a jigsaw puzzle. A lot of it's features only come together when it's running so your styles etc. will look off in tools like EW. Your best bet will be to start looking at DNN skinning just from the perspective of creating a DNN skin and not exactly starting with it from a tool perspective. That gives you the ability to determine what your limiting items are before you try to do them in an editor like EW.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 11:35 PM

All replies

• From the DotNetnuke web site forum: http://www.dotnetnuke.com/Community/Forums/tabid/795/forumid/118/threadid/188467/scope/posts/Default.aspx

Nina Meiers:

"You can skin using Expression Web, but only using html method and you can't really see the menu structure which a lot of designers spend their time on.

If you attempt to skin using Expression Web, with the ascx controls you end up with lots of grey boxes as it can't find all the controls -there is no 'hook' into the system unlike the Sharepoint Designer which is a dll that hooks the sharepoint app and the controls used.

So if that's where you coming from in reference to hooking into actual functionality of adding content and moving things around, as explained in the previous post, it's done online, but if you want to modify the look and feel of the application, in html format Expression web can work for you."

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:26 PM
  • Yes I have read this thread, but I really need some more clarification if possible.

I understand that editing the ascx file needs to be done by code only. Correct?

I understand that you can use EW using the "html" method. What does that mean though?

How can I use the "Behaviors" that are in Expression studio in the skins that I create for my Dnn site?

In other words I like expression studio but I need to fully comprehend how and if I can use the tools together. I have read from many threads that you can but I cant seem to find out how( at least not from a newbie's standpoint)

Thanks for your info

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 8:26 PM
  • DotNetNuke is going to be something that you're better off touching by hand rather than a tool. This mainly has nothing to do with EW, but more the way DotNetNuke is designed. It's a very complex system and you would need to learn a good bit about how it's put together before you can really play with making DNN skins. EW works great with normal web sites, but DNN is special because it's like a jigsaw puzzle. A lot of it's features only come together when it's running so your styles etc. will look off in tools like EW. Your best bet will be to start looking at DNN skinning just from the perspective of creating a DNN skin and not exactly starting with it from a tool perspective. That gives you the ability to determine what your limiting items are before you try to do them in an editor like EW.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 11:35 PM
  • Mark - You raise some interesting points here - and you are correct that DotNetNuke requires a different method of approaching the look and feel.  That comment I made in the dotnetnuke forums related to the lack of connection to the controls that help display the skinobjects that make up the skin. 

You could successfully use Expression Web if you work with the html approach. 

Alot of skin designers use the ascx (developer method) of coding skins as it allows you to directly code enhancements instead of using xml and html which make up the elements of a skin package.

If there was a cool DotNetNuke Plugin to add to expression web, similar to a Sharepoint designer, then you could have a very nice solution.  I'd switch to Expression Web in an instant if I knew someone who could write plugins.

Approaching DNN Skinning using html methods, hand crafting the skinobjects in the file and then parsing them through the skin admin area would be the approach.

There is also something for Lugnut2010 to remember - the menu is managed through CSS, not in the html file since it's all driven by the database.

Anybody know anyone who can write plugins for Expression Web? I'd love to speak to them.

Nina Meiers

Sunday, July 18, 2010 1:31 PM