Paragraph spacing RRS feed

• Question

• In creating a page for my website http://bicyclegermany.com, I copied a few word from another website so I could add text to my page. When I did so, the space between paragraphs disappeared and I cannot find any changes in my css style sheet from what is currently posted on the Internet. How can I correct this? I have tried shutting down ew4 and reopening it but it made no difference. I could reboot but I would rather not because I would loose some work on other programs. But if you think rebooting would help, I will.

Another thing that may have happened, I seem to have lost my background color but the link is still there as it has been.

I have read "It does help a great deal if you post a link so that we can see your markup. However, for a start, you should realize that the <p> paragraph element has a default margin. This will depend upon the browser and which part of which CSS spec is being honored. The values found, according to my research, will be 1 em, 1.12 em, or 1.33 em. An "em" is equal in size to the M-width (literally, the width of the letter "M") in the current font. This margin will exist whether you have explicitly assigned a margin or not, and is probably the source of your mystery spacing." from Scott in November 2008.

Tim

timburleigh

Monday, July 2, 2012 6:43 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure exactly what the fix is, but ALWAYS copy text into Notepad, and then copy the text to your webpage. Doing this will strip the text of any markup introduced in other applications.

Paul Zahorecz

• Marked as answer by TimBurleigh Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:18 AM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 8:30 PM
  • ???

I don't see the problem. I went to the referenced http://bicyclegermany.com/day_rental_bikes.html, and this is what I saw:

bicycle-germany-para-spacing

Looks as if the expected paragraph spacing is in effect; on that page, anyway.

Either you are seeing something that no one else is seeing, or you are going to have to be much clearer in your question.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by TimBurleigh Monday, July 2, 2012 8:50 PM
  • We have no way of knowing what is on your lcoal PC or why you are seeing what you are seeing, or if it has anything to do with EW or with something you've done.  For example, the background image and CSS file were already on the web, and the page we see references them.  If they are missing in your local site - did you do something?  Move them?  Change them?

All we can do it throw out guesses.  For example, you can try FPCleaner, but, again, I have no idea if that would help or not, since I have no idea what is wrong.  Can't hurt to try it.

Monday, July 2, 2012 8:46 PM
  • OK, Thank you Kathy and thank you Scott and Paul. I will uninstall and reinstall to see if that clears it up.

timburleigh

• Marked as answer by TimBurleigh Monday, July 2, 2012 8:49 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 8:49 PM
  • If you're not seeing that when you Preview In Browser, try clearing your browser's cache. The problem isn't with EW (which is clearly publishing the right data, since others can see it), but with the rendering engine, which is apparently working with old data.

However, you have a much more serious problem with that site—it is inaccessible to vision-impaired users and those with small, high-res screens, who must increase their text size for comfortable reading. In IE, select "View|Text Size|Largest" and watch your menu layout blow up. Even worse, in Firefox, select "View|Zoom|Zoom Text Only," then hit "Ctrl-+" a few times. See what I mean? Nicht gut ist.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by TimBurleigh Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:26 AM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 8:52 PM
  • No!  Do not uninstall and reinstall. I can't for the life of me figure out why people think that's the panacea for all computing problems. 99.9999999% of the time it never accompilshes anything except wasting time and mucking up the Registry.

You have limited experience in EW, so logically the fault is yours, not the program's. I'm not trying to be smart or mean, just logical. Programs don't screw up nearly as often as users do ;-) . You probably messed up (pasting directly from another site), and all the uninstalls in the world won't fix what's wrong. Do some more troubleshooting; you have to check the code and make sure everything is right.

FPCleaner can't hurt, but I've never had to use it. Rebooting will flush your RAM in case something's corrupted in it. Do the easy things first. Uninstalls and reinstalls invariably just perpetuate problems.

A call to action:
    What do we want?!
    Time travel!
    When do we want it?!
    That's irrelevant!

• Edited by Bill Pearson Monday, July 2, 2012 9:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by TimBurleigh Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:25 AM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 9:54 PM
  • I'll second Bill's comments and add more:  EW is intimately tied into the Net Framework and WPF.  Unless you are going to to a clean install of all of that, you will not be testing "reinstalling EW".  And something that started when you did something inside EW is unlikely to be an EW installation problem.  Not impossible, just not the conclusion you should jump to.

Close it.  Reboot.  Try FPCleaner.  Regenerate metadata and hyperlinks.  See if you have changed anything (as I said earlier) in the location or content of your local copies of the CSS and background.  And so on.

Monday, July 2, 2012 9:59 PM

All replies

• What text is new? What paragraphs changed?  And so on.  Realize that we have no idea, until you tell us, what is different in your page from the way you want it to look.  All we can see is what is posted there now.

• Edited by KathyW2 Monday, July 2, 2012 6:57 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Hi KathyW2,

Thanks for your quick response.

I don't dare publish the site )as it is because it looks terrible. To answer your questions, every paragraph (<p></p>) on all 80 pages has lost the space between paragraphs. It is as if the default programming was somehow erased. I cannot seem to recreate it by using my css either. Of course you can view my css at http://bicyclegermany.com/universal_1.css. For example, on the page I am currently working (which is not yet published) the spaces between paragraphs that appear in the text below do not appear either in my design view nor in my preview with IE8.

I understand your question so I am publishing just the page I am now developing. You will not find it in the menu but you will find it with this link: http://bicyclegermany.com/day_rental_bikes.html. Of course I cannot publish all the pages without overwriting the current pages.

Below is what I copied from my work in progress page day rental bikes. But, as I said above, the gap between the paragraph does not appear in EW4 as it does below:

Visiting Germany on a business trip and find yourself with a few hours or a full day of unscheduled time? Want to explore the city but find that walking, while good exercise, takes too long? Rent a bike for an hour or a day. Or, for several days if you like.

Perhaps you are touring and find yourself in Germany. Maybe the rest of the bus is off visiting another palace and you have had your fill of palaces and castles (and perhaps the idiots on the tour as well). You yern for a chance to do some sightseeing on your own before the bus hauls you to the next destination. What to do? Walk around Munich or Berlin on your own? Taking a street car would make more sense.

However, what makes the most sense is renting a bicycle by the hour or the day. And for the last few years it is possible and convenient. The Deutsche Bahn (DB) has a Call-a-Bike program that is really cool. Other cities, and not just in Germany either, have locations where you can call a phone number, give them a credit card number, and hop on a bicycle for as long as you wish, up to a week.

To contact the DB Call-a-Bike by Internet www.callabike.de Wikipedia has an excellent page in English about DB's Call a Bike program: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_a_Bike 

If you are in one of the cities that offer Call-a-Bike, i.e., Berlin, Frankfurt am Main, Karlsruhe, Cologne, Munich, Stuttgart, Hamburg (StadtRAD Hamburg), Kassel (Konrad) or many of the ICE trainstations, you can register with

Kassel has a program that is also linked to the DB Call-a-Bike system but it is called Konrad. There are over 500 Konrad bicycles in 50 different docking stations around Kassel, most within steps of bus or streetcar stations. In Kassel, you call 0561-350-293630 to establish an account. Give them your credit card number and they will give you a code to unlock a bicycle. When you get to a place where you want to pause your excursion for a while and lock your bicycle, push the locking bolt into place, and note the unlock code on the cyclometer. When you return, simply enter the unlock code, pull the bolt back and continue your ride.

Back to the top

timburleigh

Monday, July 2, 2012 8:06 PM
  • http://bicyclegermany.com/day_rental_bikes.html  has paragraph spacing and the background.  It looks fine on the web.

Monday, July 2, 2012 8:11 PM
  • I'm not sure exactly what the fix is, but ALWAYS copy text into Notepad, and then copy the text to your webpage. Doing this will strip the text of any markup introduced in other applications.

Paul Zahorecz

• Marked as answer by TimBurleigh Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:18 AM
  • ???

I don't see the problem. I went to the referenced http://bicyclegermany.com/day_rental_bikes.html, and this is what I saw:

bicycle-germany-para-spacing

Looks as if the expected paragraph spacing is in effect; on that page, anyway.

Either you are seeing something that no one else is seeing, or you are going to have to be much clearer in your question.

cheers,
    scott

• Hi Scott,

Yep, what you copied is how it is suppose to look. That part is a relief. But why does my ew4 show it without the background color that shows up in the browser that you (and now I see too) see? And why does it appear not to have the correct spaces between the paragraphs. It also appears without proper spacing between paragraphs when I use the preview in IE or Mozilla or the other browsers I have on my computer.

Can I reset my ew4? If I reload it, do I need to the product key? (which I just happen to have here in Germany where I am staying at the moment).

timburleigh

Monday, July 2, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Paul,

Now you tell me. Thank you, for now on I will change my behavior.

timburleigh

Monday, July 2, 2012 8:39 PM
  • We have no way of knowing what is on your lcoal PC or why you are seeing what you are seeing, or if it has anything to do with EW or with something you've done.  For example, the background image and CSS file were already on the web, and the page we see references them.  If they are missing in your local site - did you do something?  Move them?  Change them?

All we can do it throw out guesses.  For example, you can try FPCleaner, but, again, I have no idea if that would help or not, since I have no idea what is wrong.  Can't hurt to try it.

Monday, July 2, 2012 8:46 PM
  • OK, Thank you Kathy and thank you Scott and Paul. I will uninstall and reinstall to see if that clears it up.

timburleigh

• Marked as answer by TimBurleigh Monday, July 2, 2012 8:49 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 8:49 PM
  • If you're not seeing that when you Preview In Browser, try clearing your browser's cache. The problem isn't with EW (which is clearly publishing the right data, since others can see it), but with the rendering engine, which is apparently working with old data.

However, you have a much more serious problem with that site—it is inaccessible to vision-impaired users and those with small, high-res screens, who must increase their text size for comfortable reading. In IE, select "View|Text Size|Largest" and watch your menu layout blow up. Even worse, in Firefox, select "View|Zoom|Zoom Text Only," then hit "Ctrl-+" a few times. See what I mean? Nicht gut ist.

cheers,
    scott

• Marked as answer by TimBurleigh Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:26 AM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 8:52 PM
  • No!  Do not uninstall and reinstall. I can't for the life of me figure out why people think that's the panacea for all computing problems. 99.9999999% of the time it never accompilshes anything except wasting time and mucking up the Registry.

You have limited experience in EW, so logically the fault is yours, not the program's. I'm not trying to be smart or mean, just logical. Programs don't screw up nearly as often as users do ;-) . You probably messed up (pasting directly from another site), and all the uninstalls in the world won't fix what's wrong. Do some more troubleshooting; you have to check the code and make sure everything is right.

FPCleaner can't hurt, but I've never had to use it. Rebooting will flush your RAM in case something's corrupted in it. Do the easy things first. Uninstalls and reinstalls invariably just perpetuate problems.

A call to action:
    What do we want?!
    Time travel!
    When do we want it?!
    That's irrelevant!

• Edited by Bill Pearson Monday, July 2, 2012 9:56 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 9:54 PM
  • I'll second Bill's comments and add more:  EW is intimately tied into the Net Framework and WPF.  Unless you are going to to a clean install of all of that, you will not be testing "reinstalling EW".  And something that started when you did something inside EW is unlikely to be an EW installation problem.  Not impossible, just not the conclusion you should jump to.

Close it.  Reboot.  Try FPCleaner.  Regenerate metadata and hyperlinks.  See if you have changed anything (as I said earlier) in the location or content of your local copies of the CSS and background.  And so on.

Monday, July 2, 2012 9:59 PM
  • OK, Scott. Thanks for the tip.

timburleigh

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:26 AM