none
Empower based subscription RRS feed

• Question

•  

I got my MSDN subscription as complimentary through Microsoft Empower program. The program is now ending. Now I want to renew my subscription by paying for it. Questions:

1) How do I find my subscription ID for renewal? I can't find it anywhere after login.

2) Instead of all inclusive Universal subscription, I want only the OS, VS 2008 and Office 2007. Which one should I go for?

Thanks,

Sanjay

Friday, February 22, 2008 8:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• Sanjay:

You won't be able to actually "renew" the Empower Subscription.

You will purchase a new subscription. You can go to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/subscriptions/aa718656.aspx to find links to comparing subscription types, entitlements, purchase options, and costs.

The comparison page is at: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/subscriptions/aa718657.aspx

I would recommend you log in to your existing subscription before it expires and export your keys for easy future access and use.

Monday, February 25, 2008 4:53 AM
  • Hi Julie,

Thanks for responding.

>>I would recommend you log in to your existing subscription before it expires and export your keys for easy future access and use.<<

I am a little confused on this. Questions:

1) Since Empower doesn't have a subscription ID when I buy a new subscription, I will get a new set of keys. Then will the current keys be still valid? Will I have to reinstall software with new keys? That would be inconvenient.

2) As far as I understand, once Empower expires, the licenses are no longer valid. But with my renewal will the licenses continue with the old keys?

Thanks,

Sanjay

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:31 AM
  • You are correct that you would get new keys with your new subscription, but product and key entitlements CAN change over time as a result of legal proceedings, etc. It is possible you have keys that you claimed with your current subscription that might not be available with a new subscription. If that is the case, you might not be able to access the prior ones, so exporting them is an easy thing to do. There might not be a differerence, but this would be a way to see the old ones if you so desired.

Regarding licensing... I am not familar with the nuances in licensing with the Empower provided subscription, so if your ability to use the Empower provided software goes away, then you have a good point. I will inquire on this as I am not sure, so don't want to steer you wrong.

For other MSDN Subscriptions though, you have a perpetual use license (for development, testing, and evalution USE - not production) for the products you had access to while you have the MSDN Subscription, so your ability to use the products does NOT end when your MSDN Subscription ends.

I will check on the Empower licensing and use question, as it sounds like it has some differences. 

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:24 AM