none
Certification of a contactless smartcard reader RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I plan a certification of a contactless smartcard reader for Windows 8. In past it was possible to certify this in unclassified category. With HCK the tests are automatically scheduled. So I have to pass the card specific tests also. These tests need a specific card set. But this card set contains no contactless smartcards, so I can not pass the specific tests.

Has somebody a hint what I can do?

Monday, March 11, 2013 11:02 AM

All replies

• schnuffi16 - did anyone give you a hint?  We have a similar question, and I was going to post it, but found yours first.  :)

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:31 PM
  • This message to recapitulate about my experience trying to certify one of our contactless card reader:

Years ago, I have WHQL certified contactless smartcard reader for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. The device was tested as  “Unclassified”, although the device has the “Class=SmartCardReader” in the inf file. The tests was performed using WLK1.6.

Now, I would like to update the driver and certified it for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

I use HCK 2.1 (HCK for Windows 8.1 RTM). When I select the device, the system give 51 tests including tests oriented for contact smartcard (these tests require contact smartcard, but the reader is only for contactless cards).

In addition, all the « DF –PNP… » and “DF – FUZZ…” tests (20 tests) cannot be passed, as the DeviceStatusCheck task fail because it tries to find an Athena card (contact smart card !) on the contactless reader:

“WDTF_SIMPLE_IO : SMARTCARDREADERSimpleIO.SmartCardReader.1 SetTarget() ERROR : CSmartCardReaderImpl::IsAthenaT0() - Could not open a handle to the Smart Card Reader device Win32=2 - The system cannot find the file specified. Win32=2 - The system cannot find the file specified.”

If I use a Windows 7 as target (still using HCK2.1), the DeviceStatusCheck task does not try to access to the Athena card and all tests get “pass” status.

Any suggestions to get these tests ok ?

How can I choose the “Unclassified” way or how can I remove  the contact smartcard tests? These tests are “ifdtest2 part A,B,C, D & E”.

Microsoft answers that already:

“Once you done testing and submitting the final result to create submission you can select “Other Device/Unclassified” and create submission. If the results have any failed tests you need to contact CSS support to get Errata.”

Unfortunately they are 3 smartcard oriented tests and 20 DF tests (this could be to much to prove driver reliability) that won’t pass as they required the Athena contact smartcard on a contactless card reader.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:20 PM
  • Hi,

There is no certification program for contactless smartcard readers in Windows 8. This is due the specialized smartcards needed for the tests don't exist in a contactless version.

-- Oswaldo Aquique | Program Manager | Windows Hardware Certification Team

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:37 PM
  • Yes, you're right, but there is no way to perform most of the DF tests as "Other Device/Unclassified", as the inf file indicate "SmartcardReader" class. The "SmartcardReader" class is always used for all contactless card reader. This was possible with WLK1.6 and is always the case with HCK2.1 for Windows 7 target. In this case the DF tests do not need the presence of an Athena smartcard to process.

So, what is the solution to distribute (on Windows Update) a driver of a full contactless reader for Windows 8 ?

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 11:11 AM
  • Hi,

The "unclassified" category equivalent in Windows 8 is "Device - Other". You can still submit to get a digitally-signed driver this way.

Now, for those tests that cannot be executed due a contactless equivalent of the Athena card doesn't exist, please open a support case through CSS for them to look a the issue and provide a solution.

Thanks,

Oswaldo

-- Oswaldo Aquique | Program Manager | Windows Hardware Certification Team

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 9:53 PM
  • Hello,

In this situation open up a CSS case and request an errata for all tests that don't apply to the contactless smartcard reader.  

The product can then be submitted through the "Other" product type for a digital signature only since there is no certification product type available after errata solutions are provided for the test that should not apply to this product.   

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 11:02 PM
  • The tests that do not apply on contactless readers are covered by filters 1436 (idftest2 part D) and 635 (most of Dev Fund Tests). The test stay fail but with the mark indicating filtered.
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 1:46 PM