none
What is the best way to specify an address? RRS feed

• Question

• I collect separate address and city information in my Silverlight application.  What is the best way to put these items together when passing them to GeocdeAsync?

Currently, I concatenate the street address comma city comma state comma country.  A sample is "1 Smith St, Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia"  I can be certain that the city/state/country part is correct because the user must select the city from a combobox which only has cities from that state.  In this case, the street address is wrong (Smith St does not exist in Coffs Harbour).  How do I make Geocode return some form of error?  Instead it returns "1 Coffs Harbour Ave, Hoxton Park, NSW" with a confidence of good.

Paul Linton
    • Moved by Ricky_Brundritt Saturday, March 10, 2012 12:01 PM (From:Bing Maps: Map Control and Web services Development)
    Friday, November 11, 2011 1:18 AM

Answers

• Geocoders do their very best to return something regardless of the mangled text a user may enter.  They are not purposed for address validation, and they are not very good at it when pressed into "misuse".

If you know which city you are expecting the result to fall into, you could check its coordinates to see if they fall within that city.

Friday, November 11, 2011 10:18 AM