What is all about ??? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I just point to a apge which describe new stuff for the web d ado express as ADO.net data services.

I have read few articles on this but I did not catch the idea of this new thing.

All right things I catch if that from teh web side we now would like to separate the Web interface from the data in a similar way WPF does for windows application. Is that right ?

But more behind this does anyone could explain me in clear word and with concrete real world example how and when this concept can be used  compare to others ?

What is the deifference also between ADO.NET data service compare to WCF, is there something similar or nothing to do ?

thnkas for you help to undersstand that new thing and what is important for me as every new stuff is in which condition prpject should I start to say "you need to use ADO.net data service"

thnaks

regards

serge

Saturday, May 17, 2008 4:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• I did a small writeup on "Why ADO.NET Data Services" on our team blog here: http://blogs.msdn.com/astoriateam/archive/2008/02/03/why-astoria.aspx

I hope that helps..

-Mike

Sunday, May 18, 2008 3:20 AM
  • thanks for your reply....

What is what you so called "simple REST-based framework " ?

regards

serge

Sunday, May 18, 2008 7:29 AM
  • I'm not sure I understand the question, could you elaborate?

Sunday, May 18, 2008 7:46 PM
  • I have seen that in ADO data service everyone is talking about the REST Web standard and RESTfull application....

What is this REST things ?

Doe it means that all Web application/ Intranet should follow this REST ?

I am confuse between this new service stuff and what I am using so far this WCF services which provide actually datastore data to my web client as well

regards

Monday, May 19, 2008 1:50 PM
  • Sorry if I am hijaaking this thread a little.

What's the state of ADO Data Service aware 3rd party controls that I can bind to?  It seems like there aren't many.

Am I better in the short run to build my own business objects that access the Data Service and then bind those to my third party controls until such time that all the majors have supplied Data Service aware controls?

Also (sorry for the multitude of questions but I just watched the first half of Mike's Mix presentation online and I'm all excited)...is there a roadmap or tutorial series that shows using Data Service with MVC?

Ryan

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 2:30 PM
  • pablo has written a bit about application models for Astoria and REST and when such a pattern is appropriate here: http://blogs.msdn.com/pablo/archive/2007/05/04/application-models-for-astoria.aspx

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:30 AM
  • Wowww, is there any simple and clear explainantion about what is all this astoria stuff ?

I go through that post 5 times and even with that I did not catch at all the benefit of such new more stuff....

Now for me there start to be a nice mixture of different things starting by...:

ADO.net, then LinQ to SQL and now Data Services...alla of those collect data and manipulate it...

So does anyone could simply describe a real word case where an application build with data service could brings compare to simple one ?

Sometimes real world sample are more straight forward that huge post with tecnical word when put together do not ring anything before putting the whoel thing in an application...

My job as every developer is to follow the technologie and when something new arrive to present it to my co workers with adavntage and drawback compare to today, what will be the added value implementing astoria....

So any tips or somthing simple to point  me on the right track ?

I have even run video on astoria on microsoft webcast but it explain what you can do with dataservice but no real comparision why you should implement it or comparision with today approved technologie like ado.net , wcf, etc...

thnaks for clarification

regards

serge

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:42 PM
  • I agree with Serge that it's hard to understand why to use Astoria.  Couldn't I just write a Silverlight client with a LINQ entity model and use that to call my DB?  A real world example would be helpful.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:46 AM
  • Here is a brief scenario description: let's say you're building an AJAX or Silverlight application. So you have a database when the data you want to expose, and you have a web server running ASP.NET to serve content. The browser obviously has access only to the web server and not to the database (so you can't use a direct connection to the database...Silverlight doesn't even include the database clients...same applies to Javascript inside the browser).

Since this is AJAX/Silverlight, you can no longer do data-access while rendering the web pages in the ASP.NET server (which has line-of-sight with the database); the code running on the browser (javascript or a managed language in Silverlight) can only talk to the web server or some other web server allowed through policy. That means that you'll need an interface for your code to interfact with the web server each time you need to access or manipulate data.

So how do you access your data? If you have a few highly structured entry points you can use WCF. We have great support for creating end-points on the server and to consume those from both AJAX and Silverlight applications.

Now, let's say the application is all about showing and manipulating data, maybe a product catalog. So you had GetProducts() but now you need a version that filters based on user-defined criteria, and one that can do some sorting, and one that can do paging...maybe you can combine all in one and have a big signature; and then you'll need entry points for creating, updating and deleting these. The same thing will need to be done for say Product Categories, Customer Feedback entries, etc. To make things worse, since there is no pre-defined pattern for sorting/paging/filtering/etc interfaces, there will be no controls/UI widgets that can leverage your interface, you'll have to hook up this manually.

Astoria is a kind of web service that targets specifically data-centric scenarios. We use the REST architectural style because it fits naturally with the problem we're trying to solve. With Astoria you describe the shape of your data, not the methods that you perform on it. With the data shape described at a conceptual level, we can then provide a uniform interface for operations such as finding entities, sorting/filtering/paging them, as well as creating/updating/deleting them, without requiring the developer to write each one of those entry points. Furthermore, since we have a uniform interface with consistent syntax and semantics regardless of the schema, now you can build controls, UI widgets and client libraries for these services that then can be re-used in other applications.

This is one of the scenarios we want to address with the first version of Astoria. There are others such as creating "just data" services that don't include a user-interface.

Hope this helps see our perspective on where Astoria fits.

Pablo Castro
    Software Architect
    Microsoft Corporation
    http://blogs.msdn.com/pablo

Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:11 AM
  • Ok pablo so lets talk now on my current project to see if I understand it well.

I am actually working on a project where I have build on an SOA architecture with a set of WCF services which access an SAQ server database data based on service type.

For example:

- WCFProduct is the service for collecting product data that I allow to collect 

-WCFShipping is the service which collect shipping information

-WCFReport is the service which collect different reporting datat.

Each of those WCF Service have CRUD method implemented

Base on that my DataService Layer  contains all those services

Then I have a WPF or ASP.Net client application which call the proper service to retrive data

So the question I have is that does my DataService layer is doing the same thing as your ASTORIA in a way as my WCF service serve as the only gateway to connect to database ?

If I did not catch in that way, in my actuall scenario mentionned here, where ASTORIA will take place then ?

thanks

regards

serge

Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:50 PM
  • IN addition to my< previous post I ommit one more question :

what is this REST architectural style you are always pointing out ?

sorry but I ma not use to this an NEVER heard..

:-(

Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:53 PM