Backward Version compatibility of idle WF instances RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I am using WF 4.5, AppFabric Persistence in SQL 2008 

I have about 1000 Idle WFs that were created using 3 different WF files [Some activities or transition were added]. So latest version is different from say 3 week's before WF version. Now when I try to retrieve the legacy order I get following error

'EnvironmentLocationReference<Order>' is not of type 'Sequence'. When loading this instance you must ensure that the activity with name 'EnvironmentLocationReference<Order>' implements 'Sequence'.

As I understand WF 4.5 support side by side execution; so I now know how to run side by side WFs, but it will be for moving forward.

My question is how do I Resume old WF instances? All these WFs have NULL DefinitionIdentity.

Your response would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Rahul.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:03 PM

Answers

• Hi RahulSisodia

To resume a workflow

1. Add a Click handler for EnterGuess. To add the handler, switch to Design View for the form, and double-click EnterGuess. Whenever the user clicks this button a workflow is resumed.
    2. Add the following code to ensure that a workflow is selected in the workflow list, and that the user's guess is valid.
    3. Add the following code to ensure that a workflow is selected in the workflow list, and that the user's guess is valid.

More information to resume a workflow: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd489452.aspx

This is also available for you to learn side by side execution in WF 4.5, more information: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh305677.aspx

Regards

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, September 30, 2013 5:55 AM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:36 AM