SSAS Tabular - problems with Adventure Works 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i've found adventure-works-tabular-model-1200-full-database-backup.zip on https://github.com/Microsoft/sql-server-samples/releases and, using a Powershell script it appears as unprocessed, and when i try to process it i get the following error: 

Input string was not in a correct format. (mscorlib)

Why is this happening and how to solve it?

After that i've restored AdventureWorksDW2016.bak on SSMS, opened the adventure-works-tabular-model-1200-project to try to process and deploy, and thus, create the tabular DB, and this error appeared:

An error occurred while opening the model on the workspace database. Reason: Input string was not in a correct format.

The error seems to be the same, though one is on DW and other on tabular, why is this happening and how to solve it?

My machine is a Windows 10 VM on Vmware Workstation, with 12 Gb of RAM, 200 Gb HD, Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Shell (Integrated)

(Version 14.0.25420.01 Update 3), and SQL Server Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 13.0.16100.1

Regards

Thursday, August 23, 2018 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Lrmmf_,

Thanks for your question.

I assuming you have done below for this SSAS Tabular project:
    1) The latest version of SQL Server Data Tools.
    Download from: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt204009.aspx
    2) AdventureWorksDW2014 sample database installed on a SQL Server 2014 or 2016 instance. This database serves as the data source.
    Download from: https://msftdbprodsamples.codeplex.com/releases/view/125550
    3) To deploy your sample model, a SQL Server 2014, 2016 Analysis Services or Azure Analysis Services instance in Tabular mode is required.
    4) Admin permissions on the Analysis Services instance.
    5) You may need to specify connection string and Impersonation Mode user credentials to connect to the AdventureWorksDW2014 data source:
    6) To specify a different server (other than localhost) in the connection string, in the AW Internet Sales Tabular model project open in SSDT, click Model > Existing Connections > Edit > Build. In the Data Link Properties dialog, select the server instance where you installed the AdventureWorksDW2014 sample database.
    7) To specify Impersonation Mode credentials, in the AW Internet Sales Tabular model project open in SSDT, click Model > Existing Connections > Edit > Impersonation. In the Impersonation Information dialog, select Specific Windows user name and password, then enter credentials with permissions to import and refresh data from the AdventureWorksDW2014 data source.

>>>An error occurred while opening the model on the workspace database. Reason: Input string was not in a correct format.

Based on above error messages, you might want to change the regional and language options settings  located in Control Panel for the workspace server.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by alexander fun Friday, August 24, 2018 10:46 AM
    Friday, August 24, 2018 3:00 AM
  • Hi Lrmmf_,

I’m writing to follow up with you on this post. Was the problem resolved after performing our action plan steps?

If our replies are helpful to you, please kindly mark it as an answer. By doing so, it will benefit all community members who are facing this similar issues. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 2:43 AM