none
Kinect V2 only two emitters seem to work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

i just purchased the Kinect V2 sensor with windows adapter.

I connected the device to usb3 port & power etc..

Im using SDK browser to first check the device,  but in all views  the sensor itself has only 2 red lights (IR emitters) turned on.

I checked it also with my phones camera (which captures IR radiation) and only 2 emitters seem to be working . Is the device DOA?

Thanks,

Chris

Sunday, March 12, 2017 8:45 PM

Answers

• Each emitter is set to emit at a certain frequency to allow for accurate depth measurements up to 18 meters. See this project and the paper (spec paper fig 2) http://www.cvl.isy.liu.se/research/datasets/kinect2-dataset/ for a better description than mine. 

The effect of one emitter not working will just make some depth values less reliable, but yeah replace the unit, it sounds defective. 

On a side note, having the 'long distance' emitters not working (or blocked off) makes near mode (< 50 cm) depth much cleaner :)

• Marked as answer by Chris Chrstf Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:01 AM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 10:54 PM
  • That definitely sounds as a hardware failure.

I would not bother with tests, just go to the shop and get a new one, now that's still covered by the guarantee

Vicente Penades

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:31 AM

All replies

• Could be..There should be 3 red lights in the middle of the sensor.

Do samples work? Like, getting data for 2/3 of the scene and the rest is void?

Monday, March 13, 2017 8:47 AM
  • That definitely sounds as a hardware failure.

I would not bother with tests, just go to the shop and get a new one, now that's still covered by the guarantee

Vicente Penades

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Well , i didn't know what the data supposed to be , never had a kinect before , but  covering the right emitter with plastic, and leaving only one (center)emitter , i just getting a little darker image from depth plugin , color point cloud.

It seems that only 1 emitter is enough to produce the 70-85% of data .

Microsoft guy called me and they said, its whole sdk  setup issue and he expected from me to search the forums and find out a way to turn on the 3rd emitter... -_-

....to turn on the 3rd emitter!!!!  like you could choose which one to turn -_-....

Monday, March 13, 2017 10:33 PM
  • I will

thanks guys so much for the answers

because i cant see any logic in this ... 

Monday, March 13, 2017 10:35 PM
  • Each emitter is set to emit at a certain frequency to allow for accurate depth measurements up to 18 meters. See this project and the paper (spec paper fig 2) http://www.cvl.isy.liu.se/research/datasets/kinect2-dataset/ for a better description than mine. 

The effect of one emitter not working will just make some depth values less reliable, but yeah replace the unit, it sounds defective. 

On a side note, having the 'long distance' emitters not working (or blocked off) makes near mode (< 50 cm) depth much cleaner :)

Monday, March 13, 2017 10:54 PM
  • Thank you very much for your support and time guyz
    Monday, March 13, 2017 11:10 PM
  • I have the same issue. I have recently purchased a sensor with the adaptor (march 2017) and when its on only two red LED are on. I also have other 2 sensors that I purchased last year 2016 which run perfectly fine on the same pc with the same sdk. 

So I wonder what did the microsoft guy told you? did he send you to the forums or did he offered a solution ?

Cheers,

Broni

• Edited by Bro7 Monday, April 10, 2017 2:42 PM
    Monday, April 10, 2017 2:37 PM
  • I also just purchased a new Kinect V2 (model 1595) and only see two emitters. I have an older Kinect V2 (model 1520) and it has three. I haven't found any description of the difference between the two models, although if I use each Kinect to take an IR image of the other Kinect I can see a hole in the 1595 model where the third emitter should be. Since I can't hear anything rattling loose inside the unit my guess is that the 1595 was designed with two emitters.

Is the new model better than the old?

• Edited by Croow Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:21 PM
    Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:20 PM
  • Yes indeed. In my case is the same. Model 1520 has three emitters and model 1595 has only two. On a visual analysis there are no differences that I noticed. I will compare them in some experiments. 

• Edited by Bro7 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:09 PM
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:08 PM
  • Interesting stuff, I dont suppose anyone would be willing to take a screwdriver to a model 1595? Here's one of my model 1520s where you can see the housing for the 3 emitters. It would be very interesting to see if they have changed the hardware so drastically.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:24 AM
  • Hello Broni ,

Microsoft guy send me to the forums , not these forums but xbox ones .

I purchased today an other new device and it appears to have the same issue.
    SO .... I don't know , i only wanted a responsible and official reply from MS about this and i only got
    instructions and links for forums -_- ..

Anyway ,  maybe they changed the hardware or firmware who knows ... we cannot unscrew and intervene inside a newly purchased device covered by guarantee ...
    After all , it was a simple question with supposedly a simple answer, an official MS guy should have replied "oh we've  changed the hardware don't worry its normal" 
    that should do the trick , but no .

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 5:26 PM
  • Dear Phil,

I cannot post a pic because i get a non verified account error message .But i have two pictures of the two sensors taken from the front close to the IR while emitting. I can see the housing for the first blaster which does not work ...

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 6:35 PM
  • Glad I found this thread. Ordered a new Kinect off Amazon and it had only two IR emitters. Thought it was defective and ordered another, same thing in factory sealed boxes.  Found this thread and realized that the ones I got off Amazon are 1595's vs the 1520's I have on older xbox ones.  I haven't found a tear down of this 1595 model but it would be interesting to see what changes are inside. It would be great if Microsoft published these changes but searches turn up pretty much nothing. 
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 3:22 PM
  • So what's the heck ? Mine 1595 on Windows 10 (1809), only 2 IR emitters works. 
    Monday, February 4, 2019 9:59 AM
  • Hi all,

I suspect, it is a matter of firmware update!

I had an kinect attached to XBOX One S via adapter.

All three emitters were lighting red.

Recently I started to play with this sensor on Windows 10 with Kinect 2 SDK.

So I installed drivers, SDK, runtimes etc.

And guess what? In Windows 10 I see now only two emitters!!!

THen attached back to XBOX ONE and see also ONLY 2!

This means either that the 1st emitter (closest to the IR and RGB camera) got broken (which I doubt)

OR it has changed the Firmware insinde kinect. And now there is no way back?

Sunday, April 19, 2020 9:41 AM