none
Does the value of NetworkInterface.Id change over time? RRS feed

• Question

• Working with System.Net.NetworkInformation

I get the list of interfaces via NetworkInterface.GetAllNetworkInterfaces();

I am interested in the value for NetworkInterface.Id. (a GUID as string).

I am just looking to find out if this value changes or does it remain the same for the life of the computer.

If it changes, what are the factors that cause the change?

Thursday, September 25, 2014 6:53 PM

Answers

• Hello KrisKetterman,

>>I am just looking to find out if this value changes or does it remain the same for the life of the computer.

It is the latter which these values remain the same for the life of the computer, and you could find these values in registry at place below(if you use windows 8):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Linkage

Best Regards,

Fred.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 26, 2014 7:52 AM

All replies

• Hello KrisKetterman,

>>I am just looking to find out if this value changes or does it remain the same for the life of the computer.

It is the latter which these values remain the same for the life of the computer, and you could find these values in registry at place below(if you use windows 8):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Linkage

Best Regards,

Fred.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, September 26, 2014 7:52 AM
  • Thanks for the answer. I prefer using the framework over digging through the registry though.

Would the value change if the MAC address was changed by the user? (I'm assuming not)

Friday, September 26, 2014 11:06 AM
  • Hello KrisKetterman,

>> Would the value change if the MAC address was changed by the user? (I'm assuming not)

For this, I am not sure since I cannot change the MAC address with my current computer, I would suggest that you could make a test to check if these values would change or not. And this question is a bit beyond the scope of our support for this forum, you could ask issues regarding windows on below site:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Fred.

Monday, September 29, 2014 7:55 AM
  • MAC addresses are not changeable.  They are inside hardware and are unique.  They include the Manufacturer, Model, and serial number.

jdweng

Monday, September 29, 2014 7:58 AM
  • Actually they are changeable and many network cards support that. Another thing is then should you change it or not.
    Monday, September 29, 2014 10:20 AM
  • From my side I would prefer it if users didn't change the values, but some do, so I wanted to clarify these before moving on to my next task.  Thanks for the responses.
    Monday, September 29, 2014 11:12 AM