Import export HL7 documents from HealthVault RRS feed

• Question

•  

We are developing a clinical application to export/import Discharge Summary in HL7 format from and to HealthVault. Could you please let me know how HealthValut supports this feature through HealthVault Dotnet SDK?

Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:48 PM

Answers

• Currently, HealthVault has no specific support for exporting information in HL7 format.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:35 PM

All replies

• Currently, HealthVault has no specific support for exporting information in HL7 format.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:35 PM
  • Which HL7 format are you referring to?  HealthVault can currently store Continuity of Care Document (CCD) which is an HL7 document format.  Currently you cannot export HealthVault specific data types as a CCD.  Is this the format you are interested in?

Jeff JOnes

Monday, July 7, 2008 10:34 PM
  • Jeff:
    Bijoy is looking at a mechanism to export the patient's PHR to an external source (a registered provider) -- using HL7.

--Srinath
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 8:24 AM
  • HL7 has many formats.  Which format are you interested in?  The HL7 messaging format?  CCOW? CDA? CCD?  From what I understand, all are meant as an interchange format.  We currently have CCD support and are looking into CDA.

Jeff Jones

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 2:58 PM
  • Isn't CCD a constrained version deriving from CDA?

What are you trying to interface?  From where to where?

Note: To avoid you any confusion CCOW is not a messaging standard albeit it is an HL7 protocol standard.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:41 PM
  • Hi All,

CCD is the HL7 standard that HealthVault support. You can export a HealthVault record into CCD formt in two ways:

1- Throught the HealthVault Shell

2- Programmatically using such code - searcher.GetTransformedItems("toccd");

However, there was not data (VitalSigns) in the CCD file exported in these two ways. It looks like only some header data were exported so far. To prove that, try to import the exported CCD again and then you will find that none of the vital signs are there.

Things looked great when I tried the same scenario with CCR instead. I was able to view all the health information at the CCR file directly, and when tried to import the CCR, HealthVault shell recognized all these information and was able to import them again!.

One more thing, when trying to view the CCD in HealthVault shell, the following message was reported:

The stylesheet used to generate this view of the HL7 Continuity of Care Document (CCD) copyright Health Level Seven, Inc. 2007, modified and used by Microsoft with permission.

I recall once read something about that HL7 license issue in HealthVault....it might be something related in a way!.

I hope this could help!.

Mustafa Al-Durra, B.Sc Computer Engineering, MCP, MCDBA, MCAD.NET, SoftHealth Inc. (President/CEO)
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 4:10 PM