what type of driver should i write for a new bluetooth hardware. should i even have to write a driver?

Question

• If I develop a device with Bluetooth support like a headphone or speaker, do I have to write a driver to make it work with my Win8 PC/Laptop? Or can I just pair it with the Win8 device and use network interfaces. If I do have to write a driver, which type should I use? full, class, mini, miniport?

Here is the scenario. I have a new device which supports Bluetooth. My win8 PC(or slate) has Bluetooth. I pair the 2 devices. Can I now stream audio from my device to the Win8 slate? do I have to write a driver for this? or should I use the Bluetooth driver on the slate and use any sockets/IOCTLs for streaming audio from the device to the Win8 slate? This is a real beginners question. Appreciate you help.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:09 AM

Answers

• As long as your headphone or speaker conforms to the A2DP profile specification, Windows profiles inbox support streaming audio to the device;  No additional drivers are necessary.

If you are thinking about a device that streams audio data to be played onto the Windows’ system speakers where the Windows system becomes the A2DP sync role, this scenario is not supported by inbox drivers.  However, some system manufacturers provides support software to enable this scenario, so I would encourage you to check with your OEM to see if this software is available for your machine.

In the absence of solution available from your OEM, the A2DP sync role can be implemented on top of the L2CAP interfaces provided by the Windows Bluetooth stack.  More information on this is available here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff536598(v=vs.85).aspx

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:19 PM

All replies

• Sandabh,

I will look into this for you.

Best Wishes - Eric

Saturday, June 23, 2012 4:49 PM
  • As long as your headphone or speaker conforms to the A2DP profile specification, Windows profiles inbox support streaming audio to the device;  No additional drivers are necessary.

If you are thinking about a device that streams audio data to be played onto the Windows’ system speakers where the Windows system becomes the A2DP sync role, this scenario is not supported by inbox drivers.  However, some system manufacturers provides support software to enable this scenario, so I would encourage you to check with your OEM to see if this software is available for your machine.

In the absence of solution available from your OEM, the A2DP sync role can be implemented on top of the L2CAP interfaces provided by the Windows Bluetooth stack.  More information on this is available here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff536598(v=vs.85).aspx

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:19 PM
  • Thanks FlorinB.
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:12 PM