none
Unified Write Filter UWF on Win10 pro does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft,

I am working for a company that formerly used Windows Embedded Standard and File Based Write Filter FBWF to secure the windows install volume. Right now we upgraded to Windows 10 enterprise LTSB, and i'm trying to figure UWF out so that we can configure our machines as we did with FBFW.

I am testing on a virtual machine running Windows 10 pro (This is not a clean install).

Note that this has TwinCAT v3.1 installed which uses Windows on a pretty low level. This has never interfered with FBWFmgr.exe before.

I have followed the docs; https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/enterprise/unified-write-filter

Right now I activated the Feature using the GUI (and restarted ofcourse). However, when i'm trying to execute some commands with Uwfmgr.exe, the command line uwf utility immediately shuts down.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.251]
    (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>uwfmgr.exe

C:\Users\Administrator>%errorLevel%
    '-2147024891' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

The number -214... would logically mean '-1' (some conversion error happens somewhere) so i'm assuming there is something wrong with the executable.

I looked at the 'Troubleshooting' page of the UWF docs, which routed me to the event viewer. This was however completely empty: there are no warnings or errors. 

I would love some assistance as how to solve this problem and/or how to gather more information.

Thanks in advance,

Sommmen.

Monday, September 17, 2018 8:59 AM

All replies

• Note I made a duplicate thread:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/44359d78-0136-418e-b89f-b95720533d4d/unified-write-filter-uwfmgrexe-not-working-on-windows-10-pro?forum=WEIndustry

Because this was put in the wrong location.

Monday, September 17, 2018 10:09 AM
  • Also - it was because of windows PRO.

It only works on enterprise/education!

Monday, September 17, 2018 10:24 AM