none
is Visual C# 2008 silverlight or studio capable of running in windows embedded???? RRS feed

All replies

• I suggest you to dig around forums.silverlight.net. This question only concerns silverlight runtime.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:16 AM
  • I am moving your thread into the Windows Embedded Compact Platform Development Forum for better support. Thanks.
    Leo Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:38 AM
  • So, the answer is "maybe".  Presumably you are in charge of configuring the operating system for your target device, no?  If so, you can build in the .NET Compact Framework.  This is a set of capabilites that allow C# or VB.NET programs to be used with your Windows Embedded Compact-based device.  Depending on the version of Windows Embedded Compact that your device runs, a different development is used.  For CE5 or 6 and .NET Compact Framework 2.0 or 3.5, yes, you can use VS2008.  Note that not every capability of the full .NET Framework is supported.

If you are *not* the guy configuring the operating system, we can't say whether your particular configuration of the operating system can use the .NET CF or not.  Windows CE, I mean Windows Embedded Compact, can be configured in an infinite number of different ways.  It's not at all like Windows 7 where anything that you need comes in the box.  Windows CE can be configured from a version with no windowing, no user interface, no networking, no keyboards, etc. all the way up to a device that has all of those user interface things, the .NET Compact Framework, a Web server, etc., etc.  With Windows CE, unlike Windows XP, though, you can't add pieces after the operating system has been built, generally.  If you are in this situation, you must contact the device manufacturer and find out if C#/.NET CF is supported.

Paul T.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Paul answered the question in the body of your message, but your subject line goes way further than the body did.

• C# - yes with Paul's caveats
    • Silverlight - yes, with similar caveats and it must be stated that Silverlight for Embedded must be developed in C++
    • Visual Studio - depends on what you mean.  If you mean run Visual Studio on your OMAP board, then no.  If you mean run VS on your PC, develop apps for Windows CE and debug your app running on the OMAP board, then yes.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:17 PM