Migrate Sharepoint from one server to another RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a new client that is migrating away from their old provider. They have a single server (IIS, Sharepoint, DB on same server) SharePoint Standard server. I need to migrate everything off the old server onto their new server.

I'm having a hard time finding documentation on how to do this. I've tried using the farm backup/restore tools, however there are a number of errors in the log and when I try to load the new site up (using host file entry) I just get asked for credentials and it wont accept any.

Any assistance on how I go about this migration would be great.

Cheer,

Ben

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 3:32 AM

Answers

• To get this job done without any interruption and downtime, try this SharePoint migration tool which lets you to migrate content between SharePoint servers.

You can use Windows PowerShell to import or export a web site, list, or library, check this article to get in more detailed.

Backup your old sites using Backup-SPSite powershell command and restore the backup file on the new server using Restore-SPSite command.

Backup-SPSite

Restore-SPSite

Simple Guide to Moving SharePoint Content Databases to a New Server

Also have a look on this earlier discussed thread- how to move sharepoint web application to another server

Hope this helps you!

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Thursday, December 24, 2015 9:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:01 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 4:50 AM