none
How to know if Kinect for Windows v2 sensor is on? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased a kinect for windows v2 sensor. I am a beginner user of any kinect sensor. My question is very basic: how to know if my sensor which is powered up through the hub (but not connected through its usb cable) is on or not? I expect some lights to come on when the sensor is powered up even if it is not connected to a usb port. After connecting the sensor to the hub, when the hub is powered up, an orange light comes on on the hub. The light turns white when I connect the usb 3.0 cable to my usb 2.0 port (I do not have a usb 3.0 port). However. no light or the fan on the sensor turn on. I am confused whether the sensor is functional or faulty.
    Saturday, October 4, 2014 10:03 AM

Answers

• The sensor does not turn on unless there is an application using the api's. You can run Kinect Configuration Verfier to confirm it is working. The only lights you will see are an orange/white light on the hub to know that a sensor is connected and you are connected to the PC. But to know if it is working, you must run an applicatoin.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, October 6, 2014 6:48 PM

All replies

• The sensor does not turn on unless there is an application using the api's. You can run Kinect Configuration Verfier to confirm it is working. The only lights you will see are an orange/white light on the hub to know that a sensor is connected and you are connected to the PC. But to know if it is working, you must run an applicatoin.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, October 6, 2014 6:48 PM
  • Thanks a whole lot, Carmine. Your reply addresses my question.

I have another question for you please.  I have connected my Kinect v2 sensor to another laptop that has usb 3.0 but does not have a compatible graphic processor. Kinect v2 Configuration Verifier also confirms it. The verifier also red flagged my usb 3.0 with unknown bandwidth and it may not be compatible.

When I run Kinect Studio with this setup, I do not see any videos from my sensor, and no lights on the senor itself come on. However, the sensor is detected and duly shows up in the Device Manager as Kinect Sensor Devices with the 'Properties' confirming the sensor is functional.

So, the question is why the videos from the sensor not showing up on Kinect Studio?

Thanks.

SIAKK

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:28 PM
  • .... to add further, the specs of m USB 3.0 port are Intel (R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - Microsoft 0100 and no conflicts are listed. SO, is it fully compatible with Kinect v2 sensor for windows. The OS is Windows 8.0

Thanks

SIAKK

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:56 PM
  • No, Kinect Studio will require the full support of the runtime. So all IR/Depth data that is provided in the recording is required to go back into the pipeline, which requires the GPU.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:49 PM