Photo app fails to render and display JPG images

Question

• Our Metro app pulls images from scanners and saves them in the picture library as JPG files.   Some of these fail to render at all, however, when we try to view them from the Photos app that is loaded by default.  The images show up with a blank preview, the name of the file, and a X next to them.   These images, however, preview and render just fine with the Desktop Pictures library view in explorer.  And the Photobucket metro app loads them just fine.   Any ideas as to why they would fail to load in Photos?  I can provide a JPG as needed to illustrate this.

Thanks

Jeremy
    Monday, April 23, 2012 10:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

How does your app render and display JPEG files? Please provide source code and more details for further investigation.

Best wishes,

Robin [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:31 AM
  • Hi-

The problem is not with our app, but rather the Microsoft default Photo app.   The JPG files that our app generates do not seem to work with Photo app.   Other apps and desktop views work just fine with them.   I can send you a JPG file so you can observe for yourself.  

Our app does display the JPG's as well, and all we do is use a BitmapImage and call the SetSource() method on it with the path to the JPG file.

Jeremy

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:10 PM
  • I cannot reproduce it locally. Default Photo app works fine in my machine.

Does Photo app work with other JPEG images in your machine?

It seems not a Metro style app development issue. This is related to the usage of Photo app and inside things in this app.

Best wishes,

Robin [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 2:07 AM
  • Could you post the exif data for the photo?  For one that works and for one that does not work...

Best Wishes - Eric

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 9:44 PM
  • Jeremy,

Could you try this on the Windows 8 Release Preview?

Best Wishes - Eric

Monday, June 04, 2012 11:40 PM