none
Error Configuring BizTalk POP3 Adapter with Gmail Account RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello there:

I am trying to configure BizTalk Server 2006 R2 POP3 adapter to fetch email from a gmail account. To me, I have configured it correctly per Gmail's help page. Here are the configurations:

Decode MIME: Yes

Body Part Content Type: none (field is left BLANK)

Body Part Index: 1 (I have tried 0 without success too; I don't have any attachments)

POP3 Server: pop.gmail.com

Port: 995

Auth Scheme: Basic

Password: Correct one

Use SSL: Yes (True)

User ID: full email address (including '@gmail.com')

The problem is when I enable this port, I get the following 'warning' logged in the event viewer:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: BizTalk Server 2006
    Event Category: BizTalk Server 2006
    Event ID: 5740
    Date:  21/08/2008
    Time:  4:50:32 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: MYCOMP
    Description:
    The adapter "POP3" raised an error message. Details "The POP3 adapter could not establish a connection with the POP3 server. This could be due to the following reasons:
     1) The POP3 server host and port information is incorrect.
     2) The POP3 server is not running or is not reachable due to network issues.
     URL: POP3://pop.gmail.com#iabc.pop3.testaccount@gmail.com
     Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 74.125.47.111:995 ".

I can ping pop.gmail.com successfully from my computer. I was wondering did anyone else had the same/similar issue?

Can it be a configuration issue

OR

Corporate firewall/infrastructure security policy may prevent this POP3 access? (I am trying to access it from a dev machine located inside a corp network.

Any clues? I will appreciate any help.

Thanks

-Inam.

Friday, August 22, 2008 1:11 PM

Answers

• When you ping you are not connecting over the same port that POP3 is trying to connect to. You are likely pinging over HTTP port 80. On most company firewalls all traffic outbound is allowed but the inbound response is probably the one getting denied by your company's firewall. I would check with your IT administrators or support to see if they have port 995 for inbound traffic closed.

Thanks,

Friday, August 22, 2008 10:39 PM

All replies

• When you ping you are not connecting over the same port that POP3 is trying to connect to. You are likely pinging over HTTP port 80. On most company firewalls all traffic outbound is allowed but the inbound response is probably the one getting denied by your company's firewall. I would check with your IT administrators or support to see if they have port 995 for inbound traffic closed.

Thanks,

Friday, August 22, 2008 10:39 PM
  • Don't forget that port 995 is for POP3S communiaction (or POP3 over a SSL connection). Maybe setting up the SSL connection is causing the problem?? 

Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:26 PM