virtual machine RRS feed

• Question

• can anybody explain windows azure virtual machine in absolutely non technical and layman's language??
    plz help..
    Sunday, August 5, 2012 4:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as i know, Windows Azure Virtual Machine feature provide a new way for creating a custom Windows Server or Linux images, you can deploy your own web application, service, install anything you want, Virtual Mahine is IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service), you need do some works to maintain your Virtual Mahine and applications, and Virtual Mahine is also a Persistent VM.

If you do not want to care technologies and spent time to manage your server, i think Cloud Service is a better choice. With Cloud Service, you need only upload the application files and Azure Management Portal will help you deploy it on IIS, and it will works until disabled.

BR,

Arwind

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Monday, August 6, 2012 2:45 AM
  • can anybody explain windows azure virtual machine in absolutely non technical and layman's language??
    plz help..

This should get you started with Virtual Machine concepts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Machine

A Windows Azure Virtual Machin, simply put is a Virtual Machine hosted in Windows Azure.

Monday, August 6, 2012 3:16 AM
  • Virtual Machine is nothing but your desk top running on shared hardware on a physical machine. Physical machine is nothing but your desktop (may be high end machine) with good memory and hardware.

This will allow the user to create number of machines on a shared hardware and use it for your customized purposes to install any softwares and operating systems you may like on each machine. This will help you to reduce the cost of buying new machines or format your machine to experiment with various softwares you want. It is just like building blocks toy, you can build whatever the shape you want with aviable blocks. Destroy them and create one more again as you like.

Azure now proviedes the hardware that is required to run your virtual machines. You can create virtual machines with the operating systems offered by Microsoft.

Because of the shared hardware and automated management, you will avoid buying your own hardware and other avoid managing other necessary things like power, maintenance, hardware failures etc...

MS takes care of all of them for you and you just go and happily use the machine after you create it. You can take backup of your machines in form of state save or imaging etc..

I tried to put it in simple words (atleast i feel :-)). Hope it helps.

Please mark the replies as Answered if they help and Vote if you found them helpful.

Monday, August 6, 2012 11:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as i know, Windows Azure Virtual Machine feature provide a new way for creating a custom Windows Server or Linux images, you can deploy your own web application, service, install anything you want, Virtual Mahine is IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service), you need do some works to maintain your Virtual Mahine and applications, and Virtual Mahine is also a Persistent VM.

If you do not want to care technologies and spent time to manage your server, i think Cloud Service is a better choice. With Cloud Service, you need only upload the application files and Azure Management Portal will help you deploy it on IIS, and it will works until disabled.

BR,

Arwind

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Monday, August 6, 2012 2:45 AM
    plz help..

This should get you started with Virtual Machine concepts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Machine

A Windows Azure Virtual Machin, simply put is a Virtual Machine hosted in Windows Azure.

Monday, August 6, 2012 3:16 AM
  • Virtual Machine is nothing but your desk top running on shared hardware on a physical machine. Physical machine is nothing but your desktop (may be high end machine) with good memory and hardware.

This will allow the user to create number of machines on a shared hardware and use it for your customized purposes to install any softwares and operating systems you may like on each machine. This will help you to reduce the cost of buying new machines or format your machine to experiment with various softwares you want. It is just like building blocks toy, you can build whatever the shape you want with aviable blocks. Destroy them and create one more again as you like.

Azure now proviedes the hardware that is required to run your virtual machines. You can create virtual machines with the operating systems offered by Microsoft.

Because of the shared hardware and automated management, you will avoid buying your own hardware and other avoid managing other necessary things like power, maintenance, hardware failures etc...

MS takes care of all of them for you and you just go and happily use the machine after you create it. You can take backup of your machines in form of state save or imaging etc..

I tried to put it in simple words (atleast i feel :-)). Hope it helps.

Please mark the replies as Answered if they help and Vote if you found them helpful.

Monday, August 6, 2012 11:54 AM