none
Bootloader question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My platform is IMX53. I am new to WinCE.

I try to understand bootloader but I can't find the function

1. OEMBootInit

2. OEMBootLoad

3. OEMBootRun

Anyone can show me where they are? Thank you

P/s: I use Find in Files feature to look for those function. I can't find it in Imx53 platform nor common. My search folder is root WinCE700.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Hung,

if you don't have source code, then you need to install a bsp with source. If you don't get a bsp with source for this specific board, then you need to get a bsp for similar board/processor and modify it to suit the board. This is the preferred way to create bsp.

Regarding second part of your reply,

eboot.bin may be available with the bsp, even if you dont have source. But you will not be able to modify/create eboot.bin with the bsp.

Without source, you will not be able to create eboot.bin. I think this answers your query :)

- Chandra

• Marked as answer by KienHungFa Friday, March 8, 2013 8:04 PM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 6:26 AM

All replies

• It is there for CEPC at :

C:\WINCE700\platform\CEPC\src\boot\bld

I don't have imx53 BSP, and i don't know whether these functions are defined under imx53 BSP.

Can you tell whether there is any compilation issue you are facing ?

--- Misbah

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:11 AM
  • Look into the source files found in the following folders.These folder contain most of the boot loader code.

WINCE700\platform\common\src\common\boot

WINCE700\PLATFORM\COMMON\SRC\SOC\COMMON_FSL_V3\BOOT

Regards,
    Prabu [eMVP]
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 9:00 AM
  • Do you have a bsp installed or wants to develop a bsp for the board.

If you have a bsp installed, most likely you have not got the source code from the vendor. This happens if you are trying a free bsp - since the source will not be shared freely.

I assume that you are looking to develop a BSP for the board. Try to use a reference bsp or a bsp close to your processor family(ARM - Cortex A8) to begin with.

- Chandra

Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:26 AM
  • Ya, It is there for CEPC but I can't find in Imx53 BSP

Thanks Misbah
    • Edited by KienHungFa Friday, March 8, 2013 1:09 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 1:08 AM
  • Thanks Prabu,

I can't find them in those link.

Regards,

Hung

Friday, March 8, 2013 1:09 AM
  • HI Chandra,

Thanks for you help.

I installed BSP for Imx53 already. I want to learn about it that's why I look for those function.

If I don't have source code from BSP, is there anyway to create eboot.bin file from that?

Regards,

Hung

Friday, March 8, 2013 1:53 AM
  • You said that you dont have the source code for the imx53 BSP.

Then how are you searching for those bootloader functions. ?

Get the BSP source and compile the bootloader to generate eboot.bin.

--- Misbah

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

Friday, March 8, 2013 5:07 AM
  • Hi Hung,

if you don't have source code, then you need to install a bsp with source. If you don't get a bsp with source for this specific board, then you need to get a bsp for similar board/processor and modify it to suit the board. This is the preferred way to create bsp.

Regarding second part of your reply,

eboot.bin may be available with the bsp, even if you dont have source. But you will not be able to modify/create eboot.bin with the bsp.

Without source, you will not be able to create eboot.bin. I think this answers your query :)

- Chandra

• Marked as answer by KienHungFa Friday, March 8, 2013 8:04 PM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 6:26 AM
  • Thanks Misbah,

I try to install another BPS to see that it has it or not. Thanks for you reply.

Hung

Friday, March 8, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Thanks Chandra,

I will try with another the BSP to see it has source code for bootloader or not.

Btw: how do I check that BSP has eboot.bin included in?

Thanks for your help.

Hung

• Edited by KienHungFa Friday, March 8, 2013 8:11 PM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 8:06 PM