Cannot connect to the configuration database. RRS feed

• Question

• I have Server2008 with Search Server Xpress installed.  It is the default install where the database machine is on the same server as the SharePoint install.  This worked until I applied a recent service pack (maybe SP2 for Windows2008).

I get the following error: "Cannot connect to the configuration database."

The default installation uses NetworkService for the user.  It looks ilke it says that the login failed for this user for the database.

The default installation doesn't install SQL Management Studio where I can change the permission on the database.  How can I do this?  Any other thoughts?

Sunday, June 14, 2009 3:56 PM

Answers

• I didn't resolve this issue; however, I had the server on Virtual PC 2007.  I went back to an older template and reapplied all of the patches, updates, etc.  I then saved the template again with SP2 and all patches applied.  It works!

It looks like there is some process or issue that causes the SharePoint instance to have issues.  I have it running in the background.  Is there a process to shut down search server express so that the virutal machine can be backed up properly?
    • Marked as answer by Boblam Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:30 PM
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 4:47 AM

All replies

• Follow the below method and update the post:
    Method 1:
    ========
    --Locate the “Data” folder of the SQL Server database where the problem database is
    stored like
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Data
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQ\Data

--Right click on the folder called “Data” and go to “Properties”

--Go to “Security” tab and add “Everyone” & “Network Service”

--Give them “Full Control” rights

--Restart the SQL services from services.msc

Method 2:
    =======
    --Check who is the local administrator on your SQL server database
    --You can check it by executing a small command in SQL query

Select * from sys.sysdatabases
    Use <database name>
    Select suser_sname()

--Make sure the local user have complete rights and he is a locally administrator
    --Open “SQL Server Configuration Manager”
    --In the left hand pane of the windows look for “SQL Server 2005 Services”
    --On the right hand side of the windows look for “SQL Server (Instance Name)”
    --Right click on the “Instance” and go to “Log On” tab
    --You will find that it should be running under “NETWORK SERVICE” or “specific
    user”
    -- Changed the “service account” to “Local System” account
    --Stop and Start the Service
    --close the SQL Server Studio Management and reopen it, you should see the config
    database attached and operational

Visit: http://yagyashree.wordpress.com MCP & MCTS [WSS 3.0/MOSS]
    Monday, June 15, 2009 7:29 PM
  • I downloaded and installed the SQL Server Management Studio.  The error I see here is that some of the databases are off-line. 

Looking into this further, I have found an error message which basically says I am out of disk space or memory.  I have 1GB of memory free and 50GB of storage free.  These tables are relatively small (like 5MB).  Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?
    Monday, June 15, 2009 7:34 PM
  • follow the above method which i have given to you.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:01 PM
  • I tried your process and it did not work.  I get the following error message when trying to look at the configuration database properties in SQL Server Management Studio Express:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express
    ------------------------------

Cannot show requested dialog.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Cannot show requested dialog. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.SqlMgmt)

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.ConnectionInfo)

Database 'SharePoint_Config_5d0424e4-c27c-4aa9-abcd-bc6ed76f81ae' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space.  See the SQL Server errorlog for details. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 945)

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:01 PM
  • If you have tried both methods mentioned in the post then now it time to open a support ticket with microsoft.

US Toll Free: 800-936-4900

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:02 PM
  • I didn't resolve this issue; however, I had the server on Virtual PC 2007.  I went back to an older template and reapplied all of the patches, updates, etc.  I then saved the template again with SP2 and all patches applied.  It works!

It looks like there is some process or issue that causes the SharePoint instance to have issues.  I have it running in the background.  Is there a process to shut down search server express so that the virutal machine can be backed up properly?
    • Marked as answer by Boblam Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:30 PM
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 4:47 AM
  • Are you facing the issue with your SQL databases right now?

If Yes, that performing a backup is difficult?

If No, Then you can use STSADM or CGI mode to perform sharepoint farm wide backup without any issues.

Monday, June 22, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Right now, I do not have any issues.  It appears that occasionally, something goes wrong with the shutdown and backup of the VM.  I want to know the proper way to shut down Search Server Xpress prior to shutting down the entire machine.  Do I just shut down the database service?
    Monday, June 22, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Search server Xpress is a server software. If want to stop the activity on the server then you can go to Central admin--operations--quinces farm, it will stop the further activity in sharepoint server.

Monday, June 22, 2009 4:10 PM
  • Is there a stsadmin command line or some other scriptingto do that?

Monday, June 22, 2009 5:46 PM
  • stsadm.exe –o quiescefarm –maxduration 30 in order to quiesce the farm for 30 minutes.

you can increase the time.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 6:29 PM