sql server 2014: Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSOLAP" for linked server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am new to DBA activities and network related issues , Could  Please suggest  me how to proceed below issue.  

I am trying create (SSAS cube) linked server from database engine i.e in sql server 2014 but i am getting below error ,

Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSOLAP" for linked server "UMG_GLOBE".
    OLE DB provider "MSOLAP" for linked server "UMG_GLOBE" returned message "The following system error occurred:  
    A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. ". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 7303)

I tried with below solutions 

1) trusted delineation  is enabled for service account 

but i am unable to create linked server  , Could you  please let me know if any one have solutions .

Thanks ,

Prashanth kothi

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 9:31 AM

All replies

• Hi All,

I am new to DBA activities and network related issues , Could  you Please suggest  me how to proceed below issue.  

I am trying create (SSAS cube) linked server from database engine i.e in sql server 2014 but i am getting below error ,

Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSOLAP" for linked server "UMG_GLOBE".
    OLE DB provider "MSOLAP" for linked server "UMG_GLOBE" returned message "The following system error occurred:  
    A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. ". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 7303)

I tried with below solutions 

1) trusted delineation  is enabled for service account 

but i am unable to create linked server  , Could you  please let me know if any one have solutions .

Thanks ,

Prashanth kothi

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 9:44 AM
  • Hi prashanthkth,

Have you checked if you can connect to the instance connected with linked server directly? Please check that first to find if this instance can be connected to or some host name wrong.

If you have checked it, this problem can be a problem about permission. Please try to use below steps:

• Change the account of SQL Server Service to Local Admin.
    • Grant the full permission of the folder C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp to the account of SQL Server Service and SQL Server Agent.
    • Disable Allow inprocess in the Properties of OLEDB driver.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Monday, March 13, 2017 7:15 AM
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 3:17 AM