none
Access 2010 form wizzard broken RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am experiencing the issue detailed here. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2581301

When using the built-in wizards in Microsoft Office Access 2010 (64-bit) after applying Service Pack 1 (SP1), you receive the error:
    The database cannot be opened because the VBA project contained in it cannot be read. The database can be opened only if the VBA project is first deleted. Deleting the VBA project removes all code from modules, forms and reports. You should back up your database before attempting to open the database and delete the VBA project.
    Once you click OK on this message, you may receive any of the errors below:
    Cannot update. Database or object is read-only.

Except I am not using Access 2010 SP1. When I check under the File -> Help section it says I have Version 14.0.7153.5000 (64-bit) unsurprisingly the fix in the link does not work.

My other issue is when I click the link at the bottom where it say get suport if it didn't work, after going through where I am directed I am presented with two options 1) call an number that doesn't connect in my country (Australia) even though my login details state my location or 2) pay US $499 to have fix a paid product that is broken out of the box. Anyone have any idea what this BS is all about?

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 1:14 AM

Answers

• Hi this_is_something,

Your post is out of context.

This article is saying that a system meeting that criteria can have that symptom. You do not have that set up on that system therefore the cause is not identified as yet.

Furthermore, the article mentioned several causes for this error and gives multiple methods of fixes which are free. In the two cases I have seen this it was actually due to someone accidentally using a newer version of Access like A2013 or A2016 preview and compiling the db when they wanted to see how it would look in the new version. This is a well documented issue as older versions of Access do not have all the features of the new versions of Access and naturally the older versions cannot support somethings in the newer versions. Once opened and a slight change or a reference update or compile or even a compact or believe it or not with the new Table Triggers and Macros can cause this.

Another version issue that cause this is attempting to open the 64bit version in 32bit and vice versa.

Microsoft has also documented that you should be using the 32 bit version of Access in almost all cases. So is there a particular reason you are building in a 64bit install?

You may be faced with having to use a backup copy but something you can try, is to use a copy to see if it will open in either A2013 or A2016 preview. If it does then you can try sending the objects out as text files. Then you can import the text files back into a new empty shell in your A2010 machine. Be sure you only have 1 version of Office products installed on your PC at any one time.

It may be more helpful for you to include any more specific information about your situation.

Just takes a click to give thanks for a helpful post or answer.
    Please vote “Helpful” or Mark as “Answer” as appropriate.
    Chris Ward
    Microsoft Community Contributor 2012

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 4:16 AM
  • Hi Chris Ward,

> Microsoft has also documented that you should be using the 32 bit version of Access in almost all cases.

This solved my issue, thank you Chris. I uninstalled Access, opened the CD, navigated to the x86 folder and ran the setup files included in there. The Form wizard now works.

> So is there a particular reason you are building in a 64bit install?

No, I just let the CD autorun and install using default settings.

> This article is saying that a system meeting that criteria can have that symptom.

I realise that article is related to different system criteria, my symptoms (even if the root cause was different) here indeed identical. So for the sake of brevity I linked it along with a disclaimer that I had a different system.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 4:48 AM

All replies

• Hi this_is_something,

Your post is out of context.

This article is saying that a system meeting that criteria can have that symptom. You do not have that set up on that system therefore the cause is not identified as yet.

Furthermore, the article mentioned several causes for this error and gives multiple methods of fixes which are free. In the two cases I have seen this it was actually due to someone accidentally using a newer version of Access like A2013 or A2016 preview and compiling the db when they wanted to see how it would look in the new version. This is a well documented issue as older versions of Access do not have all the features of the new versions of Access and naturally the older versions cannot support somethings in the newer versions. Once opened and a slight change or a reference update or compile or even a compact or believe it or not with the new Table Triggers and Macros can cause this.

Another version issue that cause this is attempting to open the 64bit version in 32bit and vice versa.

Microsoft has also documented that you should be using the 32 bit version of Access in almost all cases. So is there a particular reason you are building in a 64bit install?

You may be faced with having to use a backup copy but something you can try, is to use a copy to see if it will open in either A2013 or A2016 preview. If it does then you can try sending the objects out as text files. Then you can import the text files back into a new empty shell in your A2010 machine. Be sure you only have 1 version of Office products installed on your PC at any one time.

It may be more helpful for you to include any more specific information about your situation.

Just takes a click to give thanks for a helpful post or answer.
    Please vote “Helpful” or Mark as “Answer” as appropriate.
    Chris Ward
    Microsoft Community Contributor 2012

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 4:16 AM
  • Hi Chris Ward,

> Microsoft has also documented that you should be using the 32 bit version of Access in almost all cases.

This solved my issue, thank you Chris. I uninstalled Access, opened the CD, navigated to the x86 folder and ran the setup files included in there. The Form wizard now works.

> So is there a particular reason you are building in a 64bit install?

No, I just let the CD autorun and install using default settings.

> This article is saying that a system meeting that criteria can have that symptom.

I realise that article is related to different system criteria, my symptoms (even if the root cause was different) here indeed identical. So for the sake of brevity I linked it along with a disclaimer that I had a different system.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 4:48 AM