Problem creating notification workflow in SPD RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I will try explain my problem as good as possible :)

I have the following scenario:
    (Only have WSS V3 installed)
    Using the Helpdesk Application template for WSS.
    In the Service Request list I have added a lookup column (Assignemnt Group) that looks at the title field in another list I have called Assignment Groups

The Assigment Groups list contains the following single line of text columns
    - Groupname (Title field)
    - Contact e-mail

Now to the actual problem:
    I want to create a workflow that sends a notification e-mail based on what Assignment Group has been chosen in the Service Request list.

Example;
    Group A has contact e-mail: groupA@company.com
    so if Group A is entered as Assignment Group (in the Service Request list) the workflow should send an e-mail to the groupA@company.com address.

Is this possible to do with SPD? I have tried to find out information about if SPD supports lookup columns in lists when creating a workflow. If it is so that it is not supported, does anyone have a good work around?

Best Regards,
    Thomas Sandberg
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:07 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

I think you can do this in SharePoint Designer, please try to follow these steps:

1.      Create a workflow in SPD, the workflow designer opens.

2.      Attach the “Service Request” list to the workflow and Select the “Automatically start this workflow
         when a new item is created check box, click “Next”.

3.      Click “Conditions”, and then click “compare Service Request filed”, click each hyperlink, in “field”
         select “Assignment Group” and in “comparison” select “is not empty”.

4.      Click “Actions”, and then click “Send an Email”.

5.      In the action, click “this message”.

6.      In the “Define E-mail Message” dialog box , click the “Address Book button at the end of the “To” box.

7.      In the “Select Users” dialog box, in the “Or select from existing Users and Groups” list, click “Workflow Lookup”, and then click” Add”.

8.      In the “Define Workflow Lookup” dialog box, choose the following options:

l   Source: “Assignment Groups”

l   Field: “Contact e-mail”.

l   Field: “Assignment Groups: Groupname”

l   Value: “Service Request: Assignment Group”

9.      Click “OK”.

To learn more about using workflow lookups to dynamically address e-mail messages sent from the workflow instead of using static addresses, see the section Dynamically select users or groups to receive the message.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Friday, August 22, 2008 2:36 AM

All replies

• Thomas,

The lookup with list is possible where you can compare a fields value and based on a value do some action like send an email.

But i don't think you can pickup email id as a list value. It has to be hardcoded. If the group name and the group email id is something which is always the same, you may hard code the email id by only checking group name value.

What i would like to suggest is to develop a custom action and use it. Developing a custom action to be used in a spd workflow is quite simple.

you might wanna check tis article:

http://www.ideseg.com/AddCustomWorkflowActivitiesToSharePointDesignerPart2.aspx

Thanks.
    sanjaya
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:25 PM
  •  

Hi,

I think you can do this in SharePoint Designer, please try to follow these steps:

1.      Create a workflow in SPD, the workflow designer opens.

2.      Attach the “Service Request” list to the workflow and Select the “Automatically start this workflow
         when a new item is created check box, click “Next”.

3.      Click “Conditions”, and then click “compare Service Request filed”, click each hyperlink, in “field”
         select “Assignment Group” and in “comparison” select “is not empty”.

4.      Click “Actions”, and then click “Send an Email”.

5.      In the action, click “this message”.

6.      In the “Define E-mail Message” dialog box , click the “Address Book button at the end of the “To” box.

7.      In the “Select Users” dialog box, in the “Or select from existing Users and Groups” list, click “Workflow Lookup”, and then click” Add”.

8.      In the “Define Workflow Lookup” dialog box, choose the following options:

l   Source: “Assignment Groups”

l   Field: “Contact e-mail”.

l   Field: “Assignment Groups: Groupname”

l   Value: “Service Request: Assignment Group”

9.      Click “OK”.

To learn more about using workflow lookups to dynamically address e-mail messages sent from the workflow instead of using static addresses, see the section Dynamically select users or groups to receive the message.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Friday, August 22, 2008 2:36 AM