Alternative for LS Desktop? RRS feed

• Question

• I am not a professional developer, but developed a couple of database applications - using LS desktop - that serve me well.

Reading the stories about the future of LS (or lack thereof) worries me.

The following questions come to mind:

- although LS is on its way out, can I expect the applications I developed to function for a reasonable time (no new developments). In 2011 I migrated my apps and data from Visual Foxpro 9 to LS/SQLServer - by the way, the Foxpro apps still work like a charm on Windows10 :-) - and I am willing to do another migration if necessary, but I would need some lead time;

- what are the replacement options for LS Desktop? (I would like to stick to SQL Server for the data and I need features like OLAP and graphs - the latter can be via extensions);

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

André

• Edited by VFP9Belgium2 Tuesday, September 5, 2017 9:51 AM Closing the question.
    Saturday, June 10, 2017 8:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Benoit,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that serenity is a web development tool, and that it is not possible to make a desktop application (with an executable that can be installed).

Further browsing learned me that there are alternatives - although no matches for LS - but they come at an annual fee. Not a big deal for a company, but far too expensive for a hobbyist.

Regards

André

• Marked as answer by VFP9Belgium2 Tuesday, September 5, 2017 9:52 AM
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 6:34 AM

All replies

• André, give a look at serenity.is

Benoit Sarton

Monday, July 24, 2017 8:50 PM
  • Hi Benoit,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that serenity is a web development tool, and that it is not possible to make a desktop application (with an executable that can be installed).

Further browsing learned me that there are alternatives - although no matches for LS - but they come at an annual fee. Not a big deal for a company, but far too expensive for a hobbyist.

Regards

André

• Marked as answer by VFP9Belgium2 Tuesday, September 5, 2017 9:52 AM
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 6:34 AM
  • To be honest if you only need a desktop application I would just use an Access database. The only reason we started using LightSwitch was because we needed hundreds of users to use the same app, and deploying anything 'desktop' related out to that many users is a PITA.

PowerApps looks nice, but we need an on-prem solution. If we could host PowerApps on a web server on-prem I would migrate over in a heartbeat. I would even be happy if they made a SharePoint plugin to host them.

Jeremy

Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:59 PM