How do I create a new root web RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'd like to create a new team site as my root web for my site collection, to replace the existing antiquated root web based on a blank site template. How do I achieve this, keeping in my I have subsites that I obviously want to keep.

Cheers

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 11:03 PM

Answers

• Root web gets created when the site collection is provisioned, so you won't be able to set another site as the root web. You might need to do the cleanup on your existing root web and activate required features.

---
    Rajesh
    rjesh.com| @rjesh
    You don't need to buy me a beer, if helpful just smile, vote, and mark it as answer.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 11:39 PM
  • Hi,

According to your scenario, yes, export/import is complexed.

However, deleting a site will delete subsites within it. Thus, make sure these subsites aren’t in the root web. Then you can delete the root web and recreate a new one.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Monday, September 5, 2016 11:31 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:48 AM

All replies

• Root web gets created when the site collection is provisioned, so you won't be able to set another site as the root web. You might need to do the cleanup on your existing root web and activate required features.

---
    Rajesh
    rjesh.com| @rjesh
    You don't need to buy me a beer, if helpful just smile, vote, and mark it as answer.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 11:39 PM
  • you can create a new SC and move your content to the new one, using third party migration tool

顺其自然地勇往直前!—Justin Liu

Thursday, August 18, 2016 12:33 AM
  • I was hoping there would be a simple way of moving a Site between site collections, but there doesn't appear to be. Export/Import, or otherwise 3rd party tools seems to be the only way.

Tom Wardrop

Thursday, August 18, 2016 12:35 AM
  • https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2492356

顺其自然地勇往直前!—Justin Liu

Thursday, August 18, 2016 1:38 AM
  • Hi,

Just running the two following commands won’t be complex. : )

Export-SPWeb <old site collection URL>-Path C:\subsite.cmp

Import-SPWeb <new site collection URL> -Path C:\subsite.cmp –Force

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 1:10 PM
  • I suppose by complex, I mean the logistics. Firstly, the time to export and import 70GB worth of data. Then hoping that all Workflows, and column, list and web ID's remain the same for those external programs that are hitting them via REST. It's much more complex than being able to simply delete and recreate the root web without touching any of the subsites.

Tom Wardrop

Thursday, August 18, 2016 10:59 PM
  • Hi,

According to your scenario, yes, export/import is complexed.

However, deleting a site will delete subsites within it. Thus, make sure these subsites aren’t in the root web. Then you can delete the root web and recreate a new one.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Monday, September 5, 2016 11:31 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:48 AM