none
Sharepoint Online - Discussion board default style and custom columns

Question

• Hi again,

I've just added a discussion board to my SO site, then I created a custom column (a lookup on another list - let's say categories), created a custom view (based on subject view), enabled this new column and... it didn't appear.

Turns out that in a default style (the one you choose when editing a view) there's no place for any custom columns.  I don't want to go with a basic table or other boxed views, as I find the default view to be quite legible. My question is then - how can I edit the style and display the columns I create?

Thanks for any hints

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 1:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

The columns displaying in subject view with default style is by design.

If you need to show custom columns in view page under default style, there is no OOB way to achieve it. You need to create a custom view by coding.

How to create view programmatically for your reference:

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/blogs/how-to-create-a-view-in-sharepoint-2013-using-csom

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by wilku_g Thursday, March 9, 2017 10:49 AM
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 9:09 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately I have no access to do any programming within our Sharepoint installation and I'd have to ask someone in charge to do that, which is probably not going to happen... I'll live with that :)

Although - you wrote about creating a custom view, which I actually can do with SPD, but the issue is within the style, not the view itself - according to the view the columns are available. It's that they just aren't displayed because of the style. So, how can one edit those styles?

Thursday, March 9, 2017 10:52 AM