none
Is it true that Microsoft takes a flipped approach to customer support hierarchies? RRS feed

• Question

• I once heard from someone that Microsoft takes an approach to customer care that treats first line support as a position to aspire to.

I was told that before someone works on first line support and speaks to the customer, they must first have spent time in other teams and "work their way up" to being customer-facing.  So rather than having a poorly-paid first line "HelpDesk", you essentially have the most experienced people talking straight to the customers.

To be this makes a lot of sense and the more I think about it the more I would like to consider this approach in other walks of life.

It's clear that you'll deliver the best customer experience by providing answers to customers when they ring up and avoid having to pass from team to team.  Also, by minimising calls going to second level you reduce the workload further down-stream.  It could be argued that this approach therefore pays for itself - you have a larger "HelpDesk" salary bill, but you save that with reduced second/third-line support requirements.

So, my question is - is this true?  I really want to put a case together to implement this elsewhere and quote Microsoft as an example of successful implementation.  I can imagine it is true because I do find Microsoft support is very good when I ring up.  ..but can someone verify this and provide any more information regarding how well it works - it's pros and cons and what situations they believe it's most appropriate to implement such a model?

Many thanks in advance

Thursday, March 3, 2016 7:48 AM

All replies

• Hi All

I would also be interested in anyone who knows of a case of this being used anywhere (Microsoft or not).

Equally, I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts regarding this approach to customer support.

Many thanks

Tom

Friday, March 4, 2016 3:50 PM