Speech recognition without grammar list? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys I'm new to this Speech recognition thing but, I code in VB.net and I have kinect, and I want to talk and the kinect to write it and not like having a grammar list, and I'm talking about  regular english words,  not names or so, is it possible ?

Thanks in advanced.
    Friday, May 25, 2012 6:45 PM

Answers

• You can use System.Speech.  The acoustic models are not trained to the Kinect, so results will not be as good for command and control as they would be with Microsoft.Speech.  Unfortunately, we do not support dictation yet with Microsoft.Speech + Kinect.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 5:08 AM

All replies

• Just to clarify, are you looking to program an application that allows you to dictate or do you want the ability to use the Kinect as a dictation device?

Understand that Dictation is different than Recognition. Speech recognition usually implies you are looking for specific context to what is being said and then want to take some action based on it. For example, "Play Song three" or "Call Bill".

Friday, May 25, 2012 10:01 PM
  • yes thats what am looking for dictation it should be possible according to the hardware, there is software out there that lets you do that with any simple mic, I'm trying to do that, they say it's only possible with System.Speech and Kinect is using Microsoft.Speech is there anyway to use System.Speech? I'm working in VB.net

Saturday, May 26, 2012 6:34 PM
  • You can use System.Speech.  The acoustic models are not trained to the Kinect, so results will not be as good for command and control as they would be with Microsoft.Speech.  Unfortunately, we do not support dictation yet with Microsoft.Speech + Kinect.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 5:08 AM
  • Hi,

I'm quite lost reading this :/

In fact, I'm currently seeking for a way to talk to my application and make it respond to me by an action like : Play me where the streets have no name (more difficult, I would like to tell "play me" in another language and the title of the track in its original language).

So far, I found how to create grammars with microsoft.speech + kinect.

But here are my questions :

-1 When you say "Kinect + speech = no dictation". I don't really understand the link between theses 3 actors. I thought kinect was just a mike (a good one) and nothing else. If I only use microsoft.speech with my laptop microphone, dictation will work ?

-2 How can I mix dictation with grammar ? I really don't know which way I could choose. Could you please help me for this point please ?

-3 Like I said in my example, if I use a different culture than the title of the track I would like to play, is it possible to get a good result ?

Regards

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 3:25 PM