Azure File Sync - Automate Snapshot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

Since the only way to provide Azure File Sync Backup is using Snapshot (if is there other way, let me know, please). Is there any powershell script in gallery to automate the snapshot creation and retention?

Could someone help us with this!?

Regards,

Carlos

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 1:53 PM

Answers

• Yes, Azure Files share snapshot is available in preview. The share snapshot functionality is available via PowerShell Azure Storage Module. The documentation will be updated very soon.

Azure Files integrates with Azure Backup service to provide backup and scheduling capabilities. This feature is also currently in private preview. If you are interested, please contact me at gunjanj at Microsoft dot com. I can get you connected with the right team.

Azure File Sync (preview) temporarily uses File share snapshots internally to provide data consistency and partial backups until Azure File Sync integration with Azure Backup service is available. The integration feature is currently being worked on.

HTH!

Gunjan

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 7:50 PM

All replies

• To clarify: Have you referred  to the suggestion of Azure File Share Snapshot article.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 3:58 PM
  • Yes, Azure Files share snapshot is available in preview. The share snapshot functionality is available via PowerShell Azure Storage Module. The documentation will be updated very soon.

Azure Files integrates with Azure Backup service to provide backup and scheduling capabilities. This feature is also currently in private preview. If you are interested, please contact me at gunjanj at Microsoft dot com. I can get you connected with the right team.

Azure File Sync (preview) temporarily uses File share snapshots internally to provide data consistency and partial backups until Azure File Sync integration with Azure Backup service is available. The integration feature is currently being worked on.

HTH!

Gunjan

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 7:50 PM
  • Hi SumanthBM, thank you by your feeedback.

Best regards,

Carlos

Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:39 PM
  • Hi Gunjan, thank you by clarify me.

I will drop an email to you about this, because I need provide a backup of my File Sync data :)

Best regards

Carlos

Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:41 PM
  • Hello @Gunjan Jain

Please, I have one doubt about FileSync backup using Snapshots.

I need calculate the retention period of 1TB FilseSync vol.

How FileSync snapshots will work in this case.

Each snapshot will usage 1TB of space? Or Snpashot will usage only the diferential/incremental space from"root" snapshot!?

Best regards

Carlos

Monday, November 27, 2017 6:05 PM
  • Hi Carlos,

Share snapshots are differential so you only use additional space for the amount of data churned during each snapshot.

Monday, November 27, 2017 6:10 PM
  • Hi Gunjan,

Nice to know. Thank you again!!!

best regards

Carlos

Thursday, November 30, 2017 12:12 PM
  • Gunjan

How do you create automated file snapshots? I have been reading the following link but I don't see how to automate it via the snapshot tool in azure.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/files/storage-how-to-use-files-powershell

Priyantha Perera

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 9:48 PM
  • You can use Azure backup service to create backups/snapshots on a periodic interval.
    • Proposed as answer by vikranth s Wednesday, May 30, 2018 12:57 PM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 11:30 PM