Bending text around an arc RRS feed

• Question

• User483472087 posted

I am designing an ecommerce site that lets users create their own unique product using custom text that is then printed on the product. I'm using asp.net and gdi/graphics/bitmaps in vb.net to create on-the-fly graphics that are passed back to the web page via postbacks. I've got it working very well with some classes I've developed that make it easy to reproduce, and am finding a number of products we can use it on.

My issue is this. The latest product I'm trying to make this work on needs to "curve" or "bend" the text. I know how to make a curve / circle / etc. through gdi and the graphics object, and also how to rotate text around a central point, but what I need is a way to curve the actual text, similar to what you'd find in some of the Word Art templates.

Anybody seen this done or have ideas? The one idea I have that might work but would be very manual would be to break apart the custom text into smaller bits (letters?) and then rotate each letter a different degree around a given central point. But that will be very manual, and I don't think it would do well with the spacing of the letters, either... and I really don't even want to go there.

So... that's my issue. Any takers?

You can see a sample of the STRAIGHT LINE controls I've developed at www.ezstreetsigns.com. THe curved designers are still in development, but will be online as they are right now in the next week or so.

Thanks

Chet

What I'm trying to do is similar to this post: http://forums.asp.net/p/972183/1234242.aspx#1234242

Friday, August 15, 2008 9:55 AM

All replies

• User2089715135 posted

My idea would be something similar to yours, create a method that takes a curvature value and a spacing value as arguments and then break the text apart into letters.  You could then create some logic based on the curvature value (based on some mathmatical equation) to rotate and space the letters accoring to your spacing value. It doesn't sound too difficult.

Friday, August 15, 2008 11:19 AM
  • User483472087 posted

Yeah, that kind of makes sense. Getting it to "fit" to a particular space (and specific sized arc) is going to be the issue... but I'm sure the math is out there to do it.

Any "easier" ideas?? :)

Monday, August 18, 2008 10:21 AM
  • User294545519 posted

Did anyone find a solution to this?

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:56 AM