none
excel fails with unexpected error unless vba editor opened before running RRS feed

• Question

• i have an excel macro which fails with an unexpected error unless i open vba editor first

EXACT MESSAGE IS

"MICROSOFT EXCEL HAS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO CLOSE, WE ARE SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE"

I HAVE SENT AN ERROR REPORT many times, no response

this prevents running as auto_open

why?

what initialization takes place by opening vba editor that does not take place with out doing so?

• Edited by jjbcanada Thursday, January 1, 2015 2:47 AM
    Thursday, January 1, 2015 1:47 AM

All replies

• no i do not use excel for mac

i have tried it with windows 8, windows 7 64 bit, windows 7 32 bit and even xp 

same problem with all

it is not a problem with the macro, it is a problem with office

please note that if the vba editor is opened then the macro runs fine - no problems

the error only occurs if the macro is run without opening the vba editor first (e.g.: auto_open)

thanks 

Friday, January 2, 2015 2:59 AM
  • As this is unusual behavior (not seen by most of us Excel users), and you indicate that it happens on multiple PCs (so it isn't something corrupt on just one machine), it seems likely that it is something specific to the code you are trying to run.

It might be helpful if you post your code, and specifically where you are placing the code (personal.xlsb, a regular module, a class module, behind a specific worksheet, or behind the "this workbook" object).

Also, how are you triggering the macro- are you running it from the macro dialogue box, a custom worksheet button, a userform, or something else?

Friday, January 2, 2015 4:13 PM
  • i have an excel macro which fails with an unexpected error unless i open vba editor first

EXACT MESSAGE IS

"MICROSOFT EXCEL HAS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO CLOSE, WE ARE SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE"

I HAVE SENT AN ERROR REPORT many times, no response

this prevents running as auto_open

why?

what initialization takes place by opening vba editor that does not take place with out doing so?

Buddy I have the same problem, did you found a solution, please help me!!!
    Thursday, October 22, 2020 4:57 AM