none
How to remove visual studio folders from my documents?

Question

• Hi,

I'm having some issues with visual studio community 2015, i' ve tried to repair it, but it didn't solve my problems, also tried to unnistal and reinstal but it didn't worked as well, so i've decided to try a fresh install. But there is some folders in my documents with a lot of settings information that i would like to get rid of them before doing it. Unfortunately i couldn't, windows not allowed me to do it. Is there a safe way to do it? I don't want to make things worst than now, but i really need a fresh installation of VS Community.

I'm running win10, upgraded from win7, and VS Community were installed in my system since win 7. But as i had a mklink junction pointing C:/users to D:/users that is not supported by win10, i have to undo the junction before upgrading to win10. So i think this messed up with VS installation.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Saturday, November 21, 2015 3:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi artvbava,

>>Unfortunately i couldn't, windows not allowed me to do it.

What message do you get when you try to delete them? Please confirm current user login into your computer as Administrator.

Please try to use command of "vs_ultimate.exe /uninstall /force" to uninstall all Visual Studio correlative.

Then use msiinv.exe tool which will list all installed msi on your OS. In that way you can check them and if you want to remove any of them, you may try the "msiexec /x <product code>" to remove that component.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, November 23, 2015 7:12 AM
  • Weiwei,

Thanks for your reply. I will try the msiinv.exe to see if i can delete these folders. I'm already using an administrator account, but it won't do the trick, same message. 'you need system permition to make changes to this folder". I've tried do change permissions, but the total control was grayed out, even if i try to edit it.

• Edited by artbava Monday, November 23, 2015 3:57 PM
    Monday, November 23, 2015 3:57 PM
  • Hi artvbava,

We don't have to delete these folders. Through msiinv.exe, it will uninstall all components which related to Visual Studio. Then we can re-install Visual Studio again.

If you still want to delete the folders, please refer to the answer in following thread. This problem is more related with Windows, not Visual Studio IDE. If that still can't let you delete the folders, I suggest you post your problem to Windows Forum for a better help.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/when-i-try-to-delete-some-folders-an-error-message/800326ee-5d55-4ef9-ac67-b5e1669989a5?auth=1

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 1:54 AM