Recommendation Virtual Machine Configuration With Couple Of Application Packages. RRS feed

• Question

• Thank you for Application packages in virtual machine configuration. I was able to work my scenario working with a pool and node with few task running on them. I am using couple of application packages.

My Question is : That I have Two applications namely- application1, application2 which are common amongst all the task. So what is the best practice of using it. Should I define it at the pool level or at the task level(currently I have defined at the pool level).

AK

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:00 AM

Answers

• Hiya AK,

Thank you for the feedback, more detail reside here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/batch/batch-application-packages  .

When you use it at pool level the pkgs (packages) get deployed at node, so all the task running at that node have it available, I think since the pkgs are same amongst all task like you mention it make sense to keep it at pool level.

Given what you mention I think its good that you are using it at the pool level, also from the attached document:

{quote}

Pool application packages are deployed to every node in the pool. Applications are deployed when a node joins a pool, and when it is rebooted or reimaged.

Pool application packages are appropriate when all nodes in a pool execute a job's tasks. You can specify one or more application packages when you create a pool, and you can add or update an existing pool's packages. If you update an existing pool's application packages, you must restart its nodes to install the new package.

{unquote}

Thanks Heaps,

^Tats

• Proposed as answer by Tats Mishra MSFT Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Akash Aswal Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:56 AM
    • Edited by Tats Mishra MSFT Tuesday, September 12, 2017 10:02 AM link added
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hiya AK,

Thank you for the feedback, more detail reside here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/batch/batch-application-packages  .

When you use it at pool level the pkgs (packages) get deployed at node, so all the task running at that node have it available, I think since the pkgs are same amongst all task like you mention it make sense to keep it at pool level.

Given what you mention I think its good that you are using it at the pool level, also from the attached document:

{quote}

Pool application packages are deployed to every node in the pool. Applications are deployed when a node joins a pool, and when it is rebooted or reimaged.

Pool application packages are appropriate when all nodes in a pool execute a job's tasks. You can specify one or more application packages when you create a pool, and you can add or update an existing pool's packages. If you update an existing pool's application packages, you must restart its nodes to install the new package.

{unquote}

Thanks Heaps,

^Tats

• Proposed as answer by Tats Mishra MSFT Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Akash Aswal Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:56 AM
    • Edited by Tats Mishra MSFT Tuesday, September 12, 2017 10:02 AM link added
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:44 AM
  • Thanks for the info tats, thats help.
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:54 AM