none
Macro or VBA - Are they the same thing? RRS feed

• Question

• I need some desperate help on understanding macro vs VBA, are they the same thing?  I currently develop forms but a beginner in adventuring into the developer tab - command buttons.  My employer does not provide training and assistance in this function and I am struggling to find assistance with how to get some education on this.  It is great to see many have supplied scripts for use but I would like to know how to write my own plus understand what all the characters point to along with the task request (submit form).  If I was to study what would be the recommended pathway?  Is there a book for dummies on this topic?  For example I have a form where I have accessed another's script to send the completed form to a designated email address but users are complaining that they do not know if the form was submitted.  Can a direction for a confirmation email be sent to the user be applied to an existing script, what would it look like?  The script at the moment just sends the completed form via outlook in the background, is it possible to have a new email open with the email address already populated with the subject and a default message but also allow a user to attach other supporting documents or additional information into the body of the email.  So many question.  Help would be much appreciated, I am getting frustrated with myself because I don't understand it but want it to work without complaint.  
    • Moved by Perry-Pan Wednesday, May 8, 2019 7:07 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 9:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Since this case is related to VBA, in order to get more professional technical support, we recommend that you go to the development team to post.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=officegeneral

If you have questions about non-development Office, you can post to our forum in the future, we will be happy to help you solve it.

Regards,

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 7:01 AM
  • Hello deadpantann,

VBA stands for Visual Basic for Applications. This is the language used to write Office macros. At https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/overview/, note the two nodes at the bottom of the left pane: Language Reference and Library Reference. You can start with them.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 3),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:21 PM