none
Net Framework 2.0 being bad RRS feed

• Question

• I am going a little batty trying to repair a problem without being forced to execute a full backup or a manual reinstall of my OS. The computer is an aging 3.0 GHZ P4, built on an Asus P4PE MB, 1.5 gigs RAM, ATI 9550 256MB Video Card, Intel Pro 1000 PCI Network CArd, Promise 376 onboard Drive Controller running Raid 0, IDE Drive Controllers resident on MB, Audio via Creative Audigy Platinum.

I am running XP Home SP3 kept up to date by Windows Update. Zone Alarm Extreme Security is installed.

Other Software is, well, too much stuff. Includes Nero 10 Platinum, an Old Version of Norton Ghost, ATI's Catalyst Software to control the video. I mention these three as they are acting up.

The issue is Net Framwork 2.0. It appears that somehow duning the install of the latest Nero Package it may have corrupted something related to net framework 2. During the install the new software tried to replace a bunch of system files. I lost the list as it was present in the event viewer. I forgot the default settings would wipe out the log before I got to do anything about it. In any case the replaced files were automatically unreplaced by, i think, the OS. There were some that could not be as they were lost altogether. I had to pull them out of backup. I asked Norton about all this. They claimed they haven't seen this behaviour.

Since all this happened Ghost has slowed to the point that creating a backup is nearly impossible, the ATI software has numerous errors in the event viewer pointing at net framework 2. I believe that these two and other programs that have slowed are dependant upon Net Framework 2 functioning properly.

It seems that 2.0 Framework cannot be removed, at least that's what I get under add\remove programs. SP2 for it can be removed and reinstalled. I wanted to try that but I get errors indicating that it cant be removed because other programs are using it. Duh, you think?

To cut this long disertation off at the knees. Is there anyway to get a list of the programs that require net framework 2 that are installed in the system?  Once I have that I can temporarily uninstall them in order to reinstall the SP.

Thanks for reading this and for any help you can give.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:37 AM

Answers

• If you cannot remove .NET Framework 2.0 using add/remove... ,  you can try this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Note that you should first remove any SP's that can be removed through add/remove. If you have .NET 3.0 and/or 3.5, these are extensions of 2.0 and must be removed first.

You might also try disabling all autostart programs on your system, then trying add/remove on 2.0. You probably have autostart programs that use .NET 2.0. I believe some of the ATI software does.

As far as finding which software uses .NET is concerned, the only way I've found (other than removing the framework, then observing which programs no longer run) is asking the software publisher(s).

Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:20 PM

All replies

• If you cannot remove .NET Framework 2.0 using add/remove... ,  you can try this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Note that you should first remove any SP's that can be removed through add/remove. If you have .NET 3.0 and/or 3.5, these are extensions of 2.0 and must be removed first.

You might also try disabling all autostart programs on your system, then trying add/remove on 2.0. You probably have autostart programs that use .NET 2.0. I believe some of the ATI software does.

As far as finding which software uses .NET is concerned, the only way I've found (other than removing the framework, then observing which programs no longer run) is asking the software publisher(s).

Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Thanks much for the help. My mistake was probably going right to the 2.0 without trying to remove the later versions first. I'll try again and post the results.

Thanks again,

Friday, March 4, 2011 2:16 AM
  • I thought I should follow up on all this. Removing all ver. of Net Framework and reinstalling fixec most of the problems with the PC. The only one left is extreme slowness of Norton Ghost. I'll get that fixed one way or another.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 3:02 AM