SSMA requires 64-bit connectivity components with 32-bit Office installed RRS feed

• Question

• I am running SSMA for Access 7.6.0 on 64-bit Windows 10 with 32-bit version of Microsoft Office 2016 with Access.

When I select an Access database I get the error:
    "Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID (...) failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004015 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).  Since SSMA is a 64-bit application you will need to install 64-bit connectivity component from https://go.microsoft.com/fwlinkid=834402."

When I try to install accessruntime_4288-1001_x64_en-us.exe I naturally get the error:
    "Setup Error

We can't install the 64-bit version of Office because we found the following 32-bit programs on your PC:

Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component
    Microsoft Access database engine 2016 (English)

Please uninstall 32-bit Office programs, then retry installing 64-bit Office.  If you want to install 32-bit Office instead, please run 32-bit setup."

I uninstalled Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component and Microsoft Access database engine 2016 (English) and then tried to install 64-bit Access Runtime.  This time I get the following error:
    "We found a problem!

We're sorry, Microsoft Office installer encountered a problem because you have these Click-to-Run installer based Office programs installed on your computer:

Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus - fr-fr
    Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus - en-us

Windows Installer and Click-to-Run editions of Office programs don't get along for this version, so you can only have one type installed at a time. Please try installing the Click-to-Run edition of Office instead, or uninstall your other Click-to-Run based Office programs and try this installation again."

Because replacing 32-bit Office with 64-bit Office or using not Click-to-Run edition of Office are not the options for me, what should I do?  Is there a 32-bit version of SSMA for Access 7.6.0?

• Edited by Ramzay_I Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:10 PM
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hello,

SSMA is on a 64 bit machine in both 32 and 64 bit version, so try it with the 32 bit version of SSMA.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:03 PM
  • see

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/datamigration/2016/12/16/access-connectivity-components-for-ssma/

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:05 PM
  • I do not see "Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access" in "Program Files (x86)" folder.  Only in "Program Files" folder.
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:13 PM
  • Visakh16, thanks.  This is very interesting and, I guess, useful.  Unfortunately, I tried several redistributables and in every case run into the 32-bit -- 64-bit version or click-to-run edition conflict.  So, the only reasonable solution for me, I guess would be a 32-bit SSMA for Access edition.  Preferably 7.6.0.  If I could locate it.  My databases are not excessively large.  The largest one is under 1 GB and should not pose much problem for even 32-bit edition of SSMA.
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:22 PM
  • Visakh16, thanks.  This is very interesting and, I guess, useful.  Unfortunately, I tried several redistributables and in every case run into the 32-bit -- 64-bit version or click-to-run edition conflict.  So, the only reasonable solution for me, I guess would be a 32-bit SSMA for Access edition.  Preferably 7.6.0.  If I could locate it.  My databases are not excessively large.  The largest one is under 1 GB and should not pose much problem for even 32-bit edition of SSMA.

Look for SSMAforAccess32.exe'

It should be mostly under  <installation folder>\Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access\bin

Visakh
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:31 PM
  • Visakh16,

Unfortunately, SSMA 7.6.0 does not install SSMAforAcceess32.exe in the bin folder or anywhere else.  Only SSMAforAccess.exe.  Because my target is SQL Server 2016, I would prefer to use SSMA 7.6.0 as SSMA 6.0 officially supports only up to SQL Server 2012.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:46 PM
  • Then you need to install 64 bit driver for Access

See how you can do it here when 32 bit in already existing

https://techblog.aimms.com/2014/10/27/installing-32-bit-and-64-bit-microsoft-access-drivers-next-to-each-other/

Visakh
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:51 PM
  • Then you need to install 64 bit driver for Access

See how you can do it here when 32 bit in already existing

https://techblog.aimms.com/2014/10/27/installing-32-bit-and-64-bit-microsoft-access-drivers-next-to-each-other/

Visakh
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

I have mentioned in my original message that I have tried this, but that runs in the conflict with Click-to-Run edition of Office 2016 32-bit on my machine:

"Windows Installer and Click-to-Run editions of Office programs don't get along for this version, so you can only have one type installed at a time."
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 7:22 PM

Look for SSMAforAccess32.exe'

It should be mostly under  <installation folder>\Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access\bin

Visakh
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Tried migration using SSMA 6.0 32-bit version.  This one open Access database fine and identifies all objects.  Unfortunately it has issues with SQL Server 2016.  The highest available version of SQL Server it supports is 2014.  So, if I select SQL Server 2014 and then try to connect to SQL Server 2016 I first get a warning:
    "[Window Title]
    Connecting to higher version SQL Server

[Content]
    You are connecting to SQL Server version that is different than the version specified in the SSMA project. This may lead to schema not converted correctly and synchronization issues. Do you want to continue?"

And soon after I click "Yes", I get the error:

"[Window Title]
    Error

[Content]
    Error collecting data. See the inner exception for details."

Well...  Where would I find the inner exception?
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 7:59 PM
  • this can be of help: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/fad91cc2-5bca-4e0f-9244-25d05578de2a/sql-server-migration-assistant-for-access-v530-cant-change-default-server-from-2014-to-2012?forum=sqlservermigration
    Monday, February 12, 2018 3:43 PM
  • Hello,

As was already mentioned, SSMA 7.6 only comes in 64-bit flavor. We will bring 32-bit version back in the next version, but that will not help you with the Click-to-run installation, as C2R does not install shared components that could be used by external tools, such as SSMA. You will need to have an MSI installation of runtime/redistributable no matter what.

The link to our blog post was already posted here and as it states - you have to be aware of both, platform and version. If you have 32-bit O365 Click-to-run installed, then all you need is 64-bit Access 2013 Runtime. What is the error message your are getting with this combination? We tested this a few times on a clean machine and everything installs and works smoothly. So unless you have some leftovers from previous versions - you should be up and running in few minutes.

Regards,
    Alex.

• Proposed as answer by Hannah Yu Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:57 AM
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 5:37 PM