none
Developing Add-in for Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need to develop Add-in for Outlook 2016. I am using VS 2013. What do I need among other things, which version of Visual Studio and which project template to make a solution, which will work also if the company exchanges to new version of Outlook in future?

Thanks for your help.  
    • Edited by majid_fkh Tuesday, May 8, 2018 10:17 AM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 9:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

VSTO (Visual Studio Tools for Office) is a part of paid editions of Visual Studio. The Community edition includes VSTO as well (because it corresponds to the Professional one). To get the Office 2016 project template available you need to install Visual Studio 2013 or later. See Walkthrough: Creating Your First VSTO Add-In for Outlook to get started quickly.

To create a new Outlook project in Visual Studio

1. Start Visual Studio.

2. On the File menu, point to New, and then click Project.

3. In the templates pane, expand Visual C# or Visual Basic, and then expand Office/SharePoint.

4. Under the expanded Office/SharePoint node, select the VSTO Add-ins node.

5. In the list of project templates, choose an Outlook 2013 and 2016 VSTO Add-in project.

Be aware, you can run old solutions developed even in earlier VS versions in Office 2016. Read more about that in the Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office article.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 10:51 AM
  • Thanks Eugene

VSTO Add-ins is still missing in my VS 2013 Premium. I have tried many thing, but it still missing. I have installed eg. "Visual Studio 2010 Tools for office Runtime", "Microsoft Office Developer Tool for VS 2013".

What do you think I need to install to get VSTO Add-ins? I have no anymore idea what I shall do

B.R.

Majid

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 7:36 PM
  • Hello Majid,

Looks like you didn't choose Office tools when VS was installed. You need to change packages included to the installation of VS. Try https://aka.ms/officedevtoolsforvs2013 .

See Walkthrough: Creating Your First VSTO Add-In for Outlook to get started quickly. 

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 8:50 PM
  • Hi,

I have already downloaded "Microsoft Web Platform Installer" and installed "Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2013 - August 2013 Update". I took a picture of it and want to add it here, but I am not allowed to add picture here. I took also a picture of what are available templates in my VS 2013 Premium, but I am still not allowed to add any picture. The "Outlook VSTO Add-in" is not available as template in my VS 2013 Premium. 

What do you think I can do?

Thanks you are helping me with it.

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 6:58 AM
  • Hi again,

Please ignore my last message. I was told I am allowed in my organization to install VS 2017 and use for this project.

Thanks a lot you tried to help me.

have a nice day!

• Marked as answer by majid_fkh Thursday, May 10, 2018 7:30 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 7:43 AM
  • Hello majid_fkh,

Good luck to your vsto project in VS 2017. I would suggest you mark any helpful reply or your last reply to close the thread. If you have any other issues related to VSTO, please feel free to post threads to let us know.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 8:35 AM