none
Recommended 32 bit ODBC connection RRS feed

• Question

• We have some old COBOL programs that is still accessing data in a 2008 SQL Server environment.  The performance (cursor based programs) have been really poor.   Anyone know what is the best performing 32 bit ODBC drivers for a 64 bit 2008 SQL Server environment?  Any suggestion or recommendations?  Thanks.

Monday, December 10, 2012 7:48 PM

Answers

• Hello,

With just some ODBC config changes you can't modify the performance. Performance issues are cause by the client app/programming and/or on server side/bad database design/missing maintenance etc.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Monday, December 10, 2012 7:55 PM
  • I will go with Olaf, You can not get performance improvement by changing ODBC driver. You need to look fro databse design, indexes, maintenance activities etc for performance improvement . 

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hello,

With just some ODBC config changes you can't modify the performance. Performance issues are cause by the client app/programming and/or on server side/bad database design/missing maintenance etc.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Monday, December 10, 2012 7:55 PM
  • I will go with Olaf, You can not get performance improvement by changing ODBC driver. You need to look fro databse design, indexes, maintenance activities etc for performance improvement . 

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:58 AM