none
Cannot Install Add-In for MSWord2010. Customized functionality in this application will not work because... RRS feed

• Question

• I get an error when I try to install my add-in. The stack trace is as follows:

************** Exception Text **************
    System.Security.SecurityException: Customized functionality in this application will not work because the certificate used to sign the deployment manifest for <PROJECT> or its location is not trusted. Contact your administrator for further assistance.
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInTrustEvaluator.VerifyTrustPromptKeyInternal(ClickOnceTrustPromptKeyValue promptKeyValue, DeploymentSignatureInformation signatureInformation, String productName)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInTrustEvaluator.VerifyTrustUsingPromptKey(Uri manifest, DeploymentSignatureInformation signatureInformation, String productName)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.VerifySecurity(ActivationContext context, Uri manifest, AddInInstallationStatus installState)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()
    The Zone of the assembly that failed was:
    MyComputer

Well, from what I've found so far on the internet, people suggested to change some registry keys to make it work. I did the following and it didn't work: 

As suggested here and here I've created the key called PromptingLevel under \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MICROSOFT\.NETFramework\Security\TrustManager\ and added the subkeys with the respective values as shown on the link.

As I mentioned, this solution did not work for me. Is there any other way to solve this? Or if I'm failing to set the registry, can someone provide me with a clearer solution?

Monday, January 5, 2015 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you installing the customization form a web site? If so, please make sure that that site is added to the trusted sites.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:16 AM
  • Hello Dan,

It looks like you need to add the add-in to the Office Trusted Locations list. See Create, remove, or change a trusted location for your files for more information. Also you may find your issue described on the Troubleshooting common VSTO issues – Part 2 page. Here is what it states:

Ensure that the ClickOnce trust prompt is enabled for the zone from which you are trying to load the customization. Navigate to the below registry key and ensure that the PromptingLevel is set to Enabled for the zone from where you are trying to load the customization.

On 32 bit machines:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\.NETFramework\Security\TrustManager\PromptingLevel

On 64 bit machines:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MICROSOFT\.NETFramework\Security\TrustManager\PromptingLevel

For more information, visit How to: Configure Inclusion List Security.

If you are installing the customization from a web site, then make sure that the site is added to the trusted sites.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:19 AM
  • Adding the add-in on the Office Trusted Locations list also did not work.

The other 2 links you provided I've mentioned originaly on my post, and also did not work.

• Edited by Dan0b10001 Tuesday, January 6, 2015 3:00 PM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2015 3:00 PM
  • Hi Dan0b10001,

What’s the certificate you used to sign the add-in project, and could you check whether it was added to “Trusted Root Certification Authorities” store?

Windows + Run: certmgr.msc

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 7:10 AM