Has local db support been added in the consumer preview? Are there plans to add it later? RRS feed

• Question

• There was quite a bit of feedback during the developer preview that app developers need a local database solution for Metro style apps.  I don't see anything for a SQL Lite or SQL CE style database in the consumer preview either.  

Is it there and I'm just not seeing it?  Is it coming in a future release?

I REALLY don't want to use the Win32 ESENT APIs.

Sunday, March 4, 2012 4:07 AM

Answers

• For C#/VB applications you can use the provided WinRT APIs for Windows.Storage building on top of something similar to IsolatedStorage.  However if you want structured/queryable storage as you note, the engines are not provided in-box for you (i.e., no SQLite).  It is possible to port some of these engines for WinRT and we anticipate this will happen.  Stay tuned for more news here.

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer

(if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)

Sunday, March 4, 2012 5:35 AM

All replies

• For C#/VB applications you can use the provided WinRT APIs for Windows.Storage building on top of something similar to IsolatedStorage.  However if you want structured/queryable storage as you note, the engines are not provided in-box for you (i.e., no SQLite).  It is possible to port some of these engines for WinRT and we anticipate this will happen.  Stay tuned for more news here.

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer

(if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)

Sunday, March 4, 2012 5:35 AM
  • (sorry for my bad english)

The Evernote app seems to be using SQLite... I found a LibSQLite.dll in the folder:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Evernote.Evernote_1.0.0.10_x86__q4d96b2w5wcc2\

and a SQLite dabatase inside:

C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Local\Packages\Evernote.Evernote_q4d96b2w5wcc2\LocalState\Databases\[EVERNOTE_USER_NAME].exb

Monday, March 5, 2012 6:20 AM
  • Can I access the Evernote application code to see how they implemented SQLite.

I used SQLite in Developer Preview and it worked great. After migrating the app on the Consumer Preview I get exceptions when I try to access SQLite class. The exception that I get is:

"An exception of type 'System.BadImageFormatException' occurred but was not handled in user code

Additional information: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)"

Any ideas?

Thx

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Can you post a link to the SQLite implementation that you are attempting to use?

rich

Monday, March 12, 2012 2:16 PM