none
What is quick and best approach to migrate my winform project to net core RRS feed

• Question

• my winform project based on .net v4.5. tell me what would be best approach as a result i can migrate my project to .net core very quickly.

thanks

Saturday, February 22, 2020 6:51 PM

Answers

• For a Windows form non Core project converting it over to a  Winform project, it's a tedious and painful conversion simply becuase Winforms for .NET Core 3.0 doesn't have the Winform designer ready. There is the Winform 3.0 preview that is a hit or miss proposition if it's going to work if installed  on any given machine. If it dosen't work, then you have to code all the controls and events manually or do some kind of copy paste of the controls code from one project to the other, and it's a PITA. The preview may work for you try it.

• Edited by DA924x Saturday, February 22, 2020 10:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sudip_inn Sunday, February 23, 2020 7:43 AM
    Saturday, February 22, 2020 10:49 PM
  • You can read details here

https://github.com/dotnet/winforms/blob/master/Documentation/winforms-designer.md

My advice is to instead consider using WPF or last choice migrate.

Migration is unwise, best to start fresh and the consideration for moving to using Core is that .NET Core has something missing that you can't complete a project.

So starting a new project consider WPF rather than WinForms. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Sunday, February 23, 2020 2:21 AM

All replies

• For a Windows form non Core project converting it over to a  Winform project, it's a tedious and painful conversion simply becuase Winforms for .NET Core 3.0 doesn't have the Winform designer ready. There is the Winform 3.0 preview that is a hit or miss proposition if it's going to work if installed  on any given machine. If it dosen't work, then you have to code all the controls and events manually or do some kind of copy paste of the controls code from one project to the other, and it's a PITA. The preview may work for you try it.

• Edited by DA924x Saturday, February 22, 2020 10:52 PM
    Saturday, February 22, 2020 10:49 PM
  • You can read details here

https://github.com/dotnet/winforms/blob/master/Documentation/winforms-designer.md

My advice is to instead consider using WPF or last choice migrate.

Migration is unwise, best to start fresh and the consideration for moving to using Core is that .NET Core has something missing that you can't complete a project.

So starting a new project consider WPF rather than WinForms. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Sunday, February 23, 2020 2:21 AM