none
IO Extension: Information and feature request thread RRS feed

• General discussion

• As Noah posted here, we have been working on an extension called the IO Extension! It includes features such as

* A GraphicsWindow replacement (IOForms) with many more controls (such as DateTimePickers, MonthCalendars, TreeViews, and ListViews)

* Support for printers and scanners (using the TWAIN library)

* Support for any type of game controller

* Support for many Windows 7 / 8 features like Taskbar progress (JumpLists are a WIP)

* Support for advanced speech synthesis

* Support for enhanced file IO like recycling files

* Support for clock functions in local / UTC time

And much more! You can download the extension here, and the two prerequisites here and here (SlimDX for .NET 2.0 and Microsoft Chart controls for .NET 3.5). Please post suggestions / bugs on this thread and questions here

Enjoy! 

Please mark any answers and "vote as helpful" any posts that help you!

• Edited by gungan37Editor Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:48 AM Added prerequisites
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:35 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Nice!! I will try that!

Also, tell me if you guys want any help (FYI I am not a very good VB programmer)

One thing that is impossible is impossible no matter if it is proven so first.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:12 PM
    Answerer
  • Nice!! I will try that!

Also, tell me if you guys want any help (FYI I am not a very good VB programmer)

One thing that is impossible is impossible no matter if it is proven so first.

OK, thanks for trying it out! We are trying to keep a small, manageable team, but since you are so great at SB (most people on CodePlex have probably never heard of it), you are welcome to join! Please sign up here. We would be very glad if you could help but we are trying to keep it all C# with a few P/Invoke C++ calls... nothing to hard to pick up, especially if you know VB.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:52 AM
    Answerer
  • Yes! We currently have an opening for someone to write a few smaple programs in Small Basic to ship with the extension and keep them revised. Thank you!

-Noah J. Buscher "Coding is Art"

Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:39 AM
  • Noah and Gungan37,

Is it possible to add an import function to small basic, where you could bring in a library of previously created small basic subroutines? 

I was thinking that rather than having to keep rewriting the same subroutines for each program that a person creates or rewriting the same section of code that he would be able to write it once, store it in a library and then import nto his program at will.  Maybe something like:

#import LibLink 'Which would bring in a group of previously created subroutines or sections of code. 

JR

Friday, November 16, 2012 12:46 AM
    Answerer
  • Fremy once wrote a tool for this. It is called "Small Basic Extension Compiler" or something similar. Litdev recently recompiled it to run with SB 1.0. It could take SB code and make a DLL of it... very useful. It is on Litdev's SkyDrive AFAIK. Sorry, the #include preprocessor stuff would not work because 1) We wouls have to modify the SB compiler, which I guess could be done, but even if it were, SB.exe would not compile with a compiler not digitally signed by Microsoft and 2) I don't think SB even has a preprocessor. Furthermore, SB compiles directly to MS-IL... the lowest readable form of .NET code... so playing with the compiler would be no easy task. In the end, the best option is Fremy's utility. EDIT: Argggg! Once again formatting here doesn't work on mobile... not even new lines. Sorry for the difficulty of reading this, guys.

Friday, November 16, 2012 1:23 AM
    Answerer