none
New HLK infVerif error for inf referencing usbser RRS feed

• Question

• the classical way to reference usbser from an inf file as described here

https://support.microsoft.com/fr-fr/help/837637/how-to-use-or-to-reference-the-usbser-sys-driver-from-universal-serial

especially :

[DDInstall.NT.Services]
    include=mdmcpq.inf
    AddService=usbser, 0x00000000, LowerFilter_Service_Inst

Doesn't pass the infVerif test anymore (checked with inf certified for windows 8.1)  under HLK 1803. The test returns an error : LowerFilter_Service_Inst section doesn't exist or is empty.

Latest filters (downloaded on february 26, 2019) doesn't fix the issue. Adding an empty section section as for [FakeModemCopySection] doesn't solve the problem neither.

Does anybody encountered this already ? 

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 5:46 PM

Answers

• Looks like that doc is stale (as of Win10), I am working on updating it.  The correct way is to reference usbser.inf.

[DDInstall]
    Include = usbser.inf
    Needs   = UsbSerial_Install.NT or UsbSerial_ModemFilter_Install

[DDInstall.Hw]
    Include = usbser.inf
    Needs   = UsbSerial_Install.NT.Hw or UsbSerial_ModemFilter_Install.Hw

[DDInstall.Services]
    Include = usbser.inf
    Needs   = UsbSerial_Install.NT.Services or UsbSerial_ModemFilter_Install.Services

For the Needs directives, use the UsbSerial.NT.* if you want usbser as your function driver, and UsbSerial_ModemFilter_Install.* if you want to use it as a lower filter

• Marked as answer by lamy_philog Thursday, March 7, 2019 8:38 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 11:12 PM

All replies

• Looks like that doc is stale (as of Win10), I am working on updating it.  The correct way is to reference usbser.inf.

[DDInstall]
    Include = usbser.inf
    Needs   = UsbSerial_Install.NT or UsbSerial_ModemFilter_Install

[DDInstall.Hw]
    Include = usbser.inf
    Needs   = UsbSerial_Install.NT.Hw or UsbSerial_ModemFilter_Install.Hw

[DDInstall.Services]
    Include = usbser.inf
    Needs   = UsbSerial_Install.NT.Services or UsbSerial_ModemFilter_Install.Services

For the Needs directives, use the UsbSerial.NT.* if you want usbser as your function driver, and UsbSerial_ModemFilter_Install.* if you want to use it as a lower filter

• Marked as answer by lamy_philog Thursday, March 7, 2019 8:38 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 11:12 PM
  • Thanks !

So if I understand correctly, I need to decorate my info to have a specific installation for Windows 10 based on usbser.inf and keep the mdmcpq.inf based sections for Windows 8.1 and lower.

Best regards,

Yoann

Thursday, March 7, 2019 8:37 AM
  • Yes, that's correct.
    Thursday, March 7, 2019 7:09 PM