none
Sharing contacts from Access throughout company (to appear in Outlook) RRS feed

• Question

•   Ok, so I have my whole company converted over to a new timekeeping system I built in Access. My next task is to create a centralized Contact list that everyone can see AND add to/edit if needs be. I have extracted all business contacts from every employee and the old "Daytimer" system many are so attached to...  

I'm a rookie developer, and the idea is still nebulous here so bear with me, but am basically curious if I could load the contact list into Access therefore keeping them central and tied to my Client table but have it accessible to everyone through their own Outlook so they don't have to go dig through Access and then copy the contact's email address into an email to get in touch. So, 1) can Outlook contacts be linked to the Access back end in such a way that 2) additions or edits made by any given person are then reflected Company-wide in the Access backend? I am not scared of writing some serious code, I'm having a lot of fun learning it. Looking for an elegant solution. I just need a little direction or perhaps some useful links or what have you. I'm not quite finding what I want searching as I have been. Your advice is always appreciated.

• Edited by Doug Comstock Friday, September 30, 2016 9:42 PM typo
    Friday, September 30, 2016 6:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Doug,

It might be easier if your company has a SharePoint site to store the contacts info as a back end.

Just a thought...

Friday, September 30, 2016 6:49 PM
  • Hi Doug,

Thanks for suggestion from DBguy.

For another way, I suggest you try to link Outlook Contact Folder from Access. You could refer the link below for more information.

# Share data between Access 2010 and Outlook 2010

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-data-between-Access-2010-and-Outlook-2010-0edb4de0-bf7a-48d0-b557-ed44983c5d0d

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 3, 2016 4:03 AM
  • Hi, Doung, I had this challenge a few years ago, in a company that has Exchange, SharePoint and Access. So, sharing my solution...

1) can Outlook contacts be linked to the Access back end in such a way that?

Yes, by 2 ways:
    a) You can create a Linked Table (in External Tab menu) pointing to an Exchange Address Book. Then you will have all the contacts stored there; or
    b) Linkng to an Outlook pst file (that contains your local address book)
    The wizard will guide you to both ways above, you just need to choose between Global Address Book or Outlook Contacts.

2) additions or edits made by any given person are then reflected Company-wide in the Access backend?

Using this, you cannot edit contact data within Access. You will have to edit via Outlook. 

Friday, October 7, 2016 7:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Doug,

It might be easier if your company has a SharePoint site to store the contacts info as a back end.

Just a thought...

Friday, September 30, 2016 6:49 PM
  • Cool thanks, I have actually never dealt with SharePoint. I will check it out.
    Friday, September 30, 2016 9:39 PM
  • Good luck! Let us know how it goes...
    Friday, September 30, 2016 10:06 PM
  • Hi Doug,

Thanks for suggestion from DBguy.

For another way, I suggest you try to link Outlook Contact Folder from Access. You could refer the link below for more information.

# Share data between Access 2010 and Outlook 2010

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-data-between-Access-2010-and-Outlook-2010-0edb4de0-bf7a-48d0-b557-ed44983c5d0d

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 3, 2016 4:03 AM
  • Thanks Edward, I'll play with that as well.

P.S./fyi the link in your signature is broken.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 6:24 PM
  • Hi, Doung, I had this challenge a few years ago, in a company that has Exchange, SharePoint and Access. So, sharing my solution...

1) can Outlook contacts be linked to the Access back end in such a way that?

Yes, by 2 ways:
    a) You can create a Linked Table (in External Tab menu) pointing to an Exchange Address Book. Then you will have all the contacts stored there; or
    b) Linkng to an Outlook pst file (that contains your local address book)
    The wizard will guide you to both ways above, you just need to choose between Global Address Book or Outlook Contacts.

2) additions or edits made by any given person are then reflected Company-wide in the Access backend?

Using this, you cannot edit contact data within Access. You will have to edit via Outlook. 

Friday, October 7, 2016 7:29 AM
  • Thank you guys for the suggestions. I forgot this thread was still out here; This has been delayed somewhat by other projects. When I get something going I'll let you guys know how it goes!
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 2:56 PM