none
How to prevent NIC being rediscovered after changing motherboard? RRS feed

• Question

• Let's assume the situation as follows: there is a working WES7 system. At some point the motherboard needs to be replaced because of some hardware issue. The system disk stays the same. My experience shows that during the first boot all the NICs are discovered as a new device and therefore loose all their address settings. This is a major problem when a device is normally accessed remotely using the network.

Is there any way to prevent this?

• Edited by MKN_RM Tuesday, October 24, 2017 7:18 AM
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 7:17 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately no. First of all every NIC has (or should have) a unique MAC address - this is a major change. Next thing is that Windows generates a unique PnP identifiert for each network adapter (see HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TcpIp\Parameters\Interfaces in the reguistry) - I think this is done to keep the configuration for the case that an old adapter is added to the system again.

The only thing you can do is to look for such changes on st artup by a script (CMD, Powershell,...) and let it do the things that are required (f.e. set IP address).

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 5:11 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately no. First of all every NIC has (or should have) a unique MAC address - this is a major change. Next thing is that Windows generates a unique PnP identifiert for each network adapter (see HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TcpIp\Parameters\Interfaces in the reguistry) - I think this is done to keep the configuration for the case that an old adapter is added to the system again.

The only thing you can do is to look for such changes on st artup by a script (CMD, Powershell,...) and let it do the things that are required (f.e. set IP address).

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 5:11 PM
  • It's a pity. I was thinking about similar solution, but wanted to be sure that there's no other way.

With XP it was way easier.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:11 AM