6 Series nokia rendered as WML RRS feed

• Question

• User752049302 posted

Hi all...

I am struggling with a problem where all 6 series nokia phones (that I've tested) are being renderred by .net in WML instead of XHTML. If I use the MobileCapabilities class to look at the user agent property of an N90 or 6680, as example, the return will tell me "Nokia". However, if I manually look in the browser request I will see the exact user agent with phone model.

Have any of you struggled with the same problem / found a solution? Is there a way I can force .net to render with XHTML, HTML or WML by skipping the automatic detection?

Any comments are appreciated.

Cheers. 

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 8:17 AM

All replies

• User1404020902 posted

This is one thing I absolutely hate about ASP.NET. I don't see why Microsoft think they know anything about device-profiling handsets.

In fact they don't. Your exmple of them sending Nokia series 60 phones WML proves this.

There should be an easy way to disable ASP.NET browser capabilites adaptive rendering (or whatever they call it) but I haven't come across any easy way.

A "hack" to solve the problem you're having is to explicitly set the Content type to "text/html" in the @page directive.

If anyone knows a more "complete" solution to disabling Microsoft's half-assed attempt at mobile device profiling I'd love to hear it.

</rant>

-Darragh

Friday, November 24, 2006 11:59 AM
  • User752049302 posted

Thanks for your response, I too am becoming pretty fustrated with 'ASP.NET browser capabilites adaptive rendering'

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 4:14 AM