Multiple Versions of Types and Methods RRS feed

• Question

• All,

There are multiple versions of the object types - Basic Demographic Information, Immunization, and Lab Results have a #v2. Is there any difference between the data returned by the 2 versions? Can you please clarify which version is the right version to request for when setting up the rules for a new application?

In addition, GetThings has 3 versions, PutThings has 2, OverwriteThings has 2. Can you also please clarify if there is a difference between the versions? Also I am using the JAVA version of the JDK. Is there anything specific for the methods/types for the JAVA version that needs to be done?

Hope you can get back to me when you get a chance.

Thanks.

Shyam

Monday, February 7, 2011 8:19 PM

Answers

• Unless they have a specific reason to use an earlier version, applications should code to the highest-numbered version of data types. There are restrictions on using data types in the lower versions - this post should help explain things.

This is a bit confusing because of the way that we chose to do naming. We originally thought that the most recent version should always have a name without a version, but that turned out to making picking up a new SDK confusing, so newer updates always have the version associated with them. This unfortunately is still confusing; for example, BasicV2 is the newer version of Basic, but Immunization is newer than ImmunizationV1.  I suggest going to the data type wiki and looking at the type information there - here's an example of the page for Immunization, and you can see which type id is the newest one. You can also find auto-generated information on the HealthVault developer center page here.

The application configuration center will show the older versions as indented, so it's fairly easy to choose the newest one. Unless you want to deal with multiple versions of data types, make sure to only pick the newest in ACC.

For methods, I recommend to always pick the one with the highest version number on it. If you're curious about what the differences are, you can find the XSDs linked here. If you have specific questions on a method, please post and I'll get you more information, but generally staying with the highest version will make your life easiest.

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Aneesh D Tuesday, March 8, 2011 9:20 PM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 12:26 AM