none
There is a Bug!! Start Button is showing in the Azure portal --> VM Tab while selecting the virtual machine even it was in running, I think RRS feed

• Question

• There is a Bug!! Start Button is showing in the Azure portal VM Tab while i select the virtual machine even it was in running
    I have found an issue when I am in the VM tab, I have selected the VM it was in running but also start button is visible

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 5:25 PM

All replies

• The start button in the portal will be greyed out only when the VM is turned on an the Guest OS is reporting as so. 

For example, when you shut down a virtal machine in Azure you can opt to stop the VM or deallocate the VM. Stopping the VM will shutdown the VM at the OS level however it will remain on the host allocated in the data center. When you deallocate the VM it will show as deallocated in the portal and will not  be allocated to any hosts in the data center. This is when we will display the start button. 

The difference between stopped vs deallocated is stopped is when you login to the VM and perform a shutdown. Deallocation comes from stopping the VM via the portal or CLI/ PowerShell. 

In your case, and per my tests, the virtual machine is likely shutdown from the OS level but not at the Azure host level. Hence, we give you the option to Start the VM. So this is not a bug but by design. 

Here are two screenshots. The first I stopped the VM from inside the OS and the second is deallocting (Stopping via the portal) 

Otherwise, if the VM is showing Running and the start option is still there, the portal might have just gotten confused. Either refreshing the browser or your instance should correct it. Else, try stopping and starting the VM again to see if it goes away. 

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:02 PM
  • Any update on this? 

If the above proposed solution was helpful please remember to "Up-vote" and "Mark as Answer" so other membersof the community can easily find it. 

Thursday, August 8, 2019 10:13 PM
  • Any update on this issue? 

If you found the above proposed answer useful, please remember to "Up-vote" and "Mark as Answer" so others in the community can easily find the answer. 

Thursday, August 15, 2019 9:39 PM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If your issue is resolved with the provided suggestion, do click “Mark as Answer” and "Up-Vote" on the post that helped you, so that other forum members can benefit from it.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 11:02 AM